Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Lovely Jubley Rig????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Si-bob, May 19, 2002.

1. Warwick Pro Fet IV + 4x10 + 1x15 = £1100 ish

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Trace Elliot AH 300 + 4x10 + 1x15 = £1100 ish

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Ashdown ABM 300 2x10 Combo + 1x15 = £1200 ish

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  4. Ampeg SVT 350H + SVT 4x10 HLF = £1400 ish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hey People
    as some of you may know i was gonna buy an ashdown rig a few weeks ago.......but then i went to a couple more shops and tried the rigs above.
    i'd like to know what people think of each of them.
    2moro i'm taking my bass to try with them all!
    I want something that is gonna last me a LONG time !...the Ampeg is gorgeous, but is only 4 oms, so i can't add to it!

cheers

*Si*

2. Ok, tried them all 2day with my bass (what a trek around the shops :D :oops: )
    i'v kinda ranked them as follows
    3 - Warwick : No character, nice, but nothing special
    2- Ashdown and Trace Elliot : What a surprise :) both nice but again, nothing really super special for the price.
    1-Ampeg : Unfortunatly this is the nicest one out the lot, i say unfortunalty because its the most expensive! :)....loadsa character, loadsa sound, punch, versatility.
    I reckon it'll be mine really soon :)

*Si*

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Being a huge Trace Elliot fan you presented me with a dilema!!! I have (8 months) ago a rather juicy Trace Elliot rig - see profile!!!

However, due to the closure of their manufacturing facility I feel a little out on a limb as far as backup goes!

I've never had a problem, just the uncertainty of TE future bothers me now. However. I have also recently bought an Ashdown EB15 (the older version) and am now very fond of their amps. I voted Ashdown above, as I am convinced that in a few years when I get GAS for a new rig, it'll be Ashdown I'll be going to!

Plus, I seem to remember they're based in Colchester - backup would be pretty good you would think!

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I voted Ashdown.
    But you prefer the Ampeg rig to the Ashdown try the ABM300 head with the 410HLF. Thats a great combination. The Ashdown is much louder too.

5. Jock
    i found the ampeg to be a lot louder than the ashdown setup i tried! maybe it was just the different places i played them.

I did like the ashdown, and yes they're only down the road from me but wen theres only a diffrerence of £200 between the ampeg and the ashdown, i'd prefer to pay a little extra for the ampegs sound...very characteristic!.

i think the shop with the ampeg in is getting a second hand ashdown rig in soon, so i may well be trying the ashdown head with the ampeg cab!

cheers all

*Si*

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    i would get the ampeg. Find an 8 ohm cab you like then you can have 2!! I also dont think you would need a 15 with the 410hlf!

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As I said I prefer the Ashdown but its your ears that should decide. Just keep in mind that its impossible to get a more uncolored sound out of the Ampeg if you should want that. But the Ashdown can do both hifi and vintage-fat. You can always put a Sans Amp Bass driver in front of it to get a more Ampegish sound. Just a thought.
    I have had very bad luck with Ampegs reliability (and sound) in the past thats why I don´t like them. Both my SVT3-pro and SVT2 died on me.:mad: