Which lubrifiant??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kelu, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I love steel DR strings but it hurts my little fingers..
    Which is the best lubrifiant for you??
    (jaco used chicken bones to lubrifiate his hands.. )
  2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Lubrifiant... lubrifiant... *thinks hard*... Ah - lubricant! You mean for your right hand fingertips? I just wipe my fingertips across my forehead now and then.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm... this one may do better in Misc...
  4. KY?:eek: Sorry, had to do it. Back to the point. I just switched to stainless steel strings and they eat my fingers like no tommorow so i just do what erik ll said and wipe my right hand fingers on my forehead or nose once in a while and presto! I'm good to go.

Always remember to clean your strings after you do this or you will have dead strings alot faster than normal.
  5. Hmmm...I've been using stainless steel strings for a while now, and I haven't noticed my fingers getting torn up too bad. Maybe my left hand when I try to slide with a fresh set of strings, but that passes after about an hour or so.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    And DR's are actually some of the smoothest steel strings out there. Just keep at it and your fingers will toughen up. I've been using DR stainless steels for over a year now and they feel like butter to me.
  7. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I red in a bassmag that Jaco ate fried chicken before jumpin' on stage ...

I also red that cannabis oil is very nice ...
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nose grease of course. Always available.
    Official best finger lube for more than 200 years.
  9. Not for using as a lube, tho :D :rolleyes:
  10. it was HEMP oil, which is perfectly legal and you can get at health food stores.
    i do the nose grease method. i is a greasy dude.
  11. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well, use it for lube and it might work, use it with its normal associated use, and you would simply stop noticing, or even caring what what was happening to yer fingers.....hooray!
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Ditto what Phat Ham said. Don't bother with any lubricants or oils. Just get used to them and toughen up your callouses and save the dough you'd spend on lubes and new strings after the lubricants deaden them.