Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Marcus Miller CD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I still cant believe it! MARCUS MILLER IS COMING TO MY COUNTRY AND TO MY HOMETOWN!!! :D :D
    I'm really looking forward to it. But I only have heard/seen a live concert on TV (that was cool) and some songs here and there, so could you give me some recommendations? Which Cds to listen to (to get ready for the concert!)? I will try to search some more shops for his CDs, but have not seen many here so far...
    Help is quite welcome

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There is one song "red baron" that marcus does, it's really really groovy, I think it's off his latest release M2.

I'm not that familiar with his work other than that though :meh:

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get Tales.

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok, will try to. Any other?
    (I know this will be growing into a mile-long list - lucky its just one player, so the number of albums is limited :) )

5. Get: The sun don´t lie, Tales, m2 and The ozell Tapes :bassist:

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love Tales, I think I listen to M2 more often lately though.

If I needed to get just one I'd get "The Ozell Tapes: The Official Bootleg"

True, live, Raw Marcus :cool: :bassist:

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks guys, the list is growing :D i will just have to try to find them here... :meh: that wont be easy though... well anyway I'll be seeing Marcus live, so that will be the good part of it :D

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Another good one is "Live and More."

brad cook

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I havent heard this . Is it the Billy Cohham Tune?

AJ

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some more 'raw'(sometimes LIVE) Marcus-
    Star People-Miles Davis
    We Want Miles!-Miles Davis
    Strap Hanging-The Brecker Brothers

The above are not in the slick, heavily produced style of Miles' Tutu, or Miller's Tales & M2.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes, it's Cobham's "Red Baron"(from Spectrum)...it's on M2.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The 'Ozell Tapes' just plain rules:bassist:

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, Ozell rocks. everything else sounds tooooo smooth jazz-ish for my tastes...

14. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Have to agree with these guys, i would definately buy Ozell. It will problably prepare you for what he is going to play at the concert best. I am going to the concert here in switzerland wich will be on the 31! cant wait! Im sure its gonna be amazing. Its my first time to see him live too :D .
    Michael

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ...do Vic Wooten and Oteil Burbridge play that at the end of the VW bass day 98 video, or are they 2 seperate songs?....

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes, got that "cant wait" feeling here, too, after seeing that live concert on TV :D
    yet there is one thing that makes me wait: we will be writing some big tests (got no better word for it) that week at the uni :eek: and :spit:

So: Ozell Tapes and Tales, I see, are the most highly recommended. I will try to get them today - I have enough free time now to go and search the shops for them...

17. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well, just make sure you study like crazy and consider the marcus miller concert a little present that you made yourself for all the hard studying. thats what i would do to justify a concert inbetween a whole bunch of tests... ;)
    Michael

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D :D :D

(Ps: Im too lazy to study like crazy - hmm that rhymes... :D )

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh and the results: found all the mentioned MM CDs at the second shop (what a luck), bought The Ozell Tapes - The Official Bootleg and I could even get the last ticket!!! :D ;) :cool:
    Thats what I call luck, the only bad thing is that it rarely happens to me - well, now it did! :D

Mz91, as you can see here, it is advised to get the ticket now - I hope yo already have one, before its all sold out...

20. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I saw Billy perform this tune a couple of times with 3 different bass players and those players were Alphonso Johnson,Tim Landers,and Kenny Gradney