1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Markbass head to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dee-man, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Howdy all. My small rig is an Eden WT550 and an Epifani 110. All the good buzz about Markbass and how lightweight they are has gotten me thinking about replacing my Eden (which weighs about 20 lbs and has otherwise been totally fine). I like the 300/500 watt configuration that MB offers, and know that LMIII is coming out in a few months. I'm wondering if anyone has compared the different pre/power options MB offers solid state, tube, tube with blend or all tube, and can offer any thoughts on the differences and whether it's worth paying more than the price of an LMII to get more than the standard. If there's already been on a thread on this, a link would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot. DM

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I recently got a good deal on a used R500 from Guitar Center...I tried out the MB LMII and some Mesa stuff, but this had the best overall value IMO and tone for the price...the tube preamp is amazing sounding.

It seems only a handful of TBers use this amp - or that would care to reply about it. Here's a thread I posted a little while back...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515356&highlight=R500

3. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks, ST, that was helpful. I should've mentioned that I have an all-tube aguilar amp too, which satisfies my tube needs, but for a little extra money, it might be worth having the option with a MB.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I hear ya - I actually had a vintage Ampeg V4-B at the time I bought this, but I love it because it has the reliability of a SS amp with some the tube warmth/roundness for gigging. I no longer need to lug my V4-B and worry if it's going to fire up or not every time I get on stage.

Good luck with your search! I found the LMII to be a comparable head as well, but it didn't fit in my protective rack case so I passed it up.

5. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Anybody do a side-by-side comparison of MB heads? Anyone?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've compared the LMII, SD800, and F1 side by side, plus I did an LMII, TA501 and SA450 side by side at a different setting. All killer amps. The F1 sounded more like a regular SS amp so I passed. The SD800 is more or less a more powerful LMII so I passed. Liked both the TA501 and SA450, but I didn't think the tube compressor was anything special in the TA501, and the SA450 sounded to me like an LMII with more versatile EQing, so I went with the LMII.

7. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    I just had the LMII, very nice amp and the cost is awesome. I am looking at the Carvin BX500 at this time, almost all the features of the LMIII and a lower cost than the LMII. Check it out.

8. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Get a LMII or LMIII. But whatever you do, don't get rid of the Eden. The Eden is awesome(r).

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I tried all the new heads @ NAMM in Jan. The regular LMIII is really the gem & they really got it right with this one- some of the others have more bells/whistles/tubes, but the III sounds the best IMHO. Analog power & solid state just works in this line- the digital power sections sounded more sterile to me & the tube models sounded 'less clear' & not better.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you check my profile you'll see I've owned alot of gear.

After all the gear I've gone thru the LMII is my choice.

Its versatile, lightweight, tons of volume, reliable and most importantly tone, tone, tone.

Can't beat it.

11. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks all for your helpful comments. Sounds like the LMII or LMIII makes sense for me (someone suggested wait for the LMIII to come out and get the II at clearance prices). I'd have to get rid of the Eden 550 to justify this. Decisions, decisions. Wish I only had cats instead of a wife so I could have it all.

12. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    you'll be waiting a while for the III, i think it'll take a year or two for them to cross the pond.

13. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Are you gonna look at the Carvin BX500? $419.00

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Unless the weight is the big issue, I wouldn't swap an Eden WT-550 for a LM. To me it's a sideways move unless the weight saving is really important.

15. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Im with one drop

16. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I use a SA 450. Jimmy is right. It sounds like a LMII with more EQ options. It has semi-parametric mid-range controls. The SA 450 also has a Pre/post EQ switch for the DI, and a separate volume control for it, as well. I like the added features.

OT:
    Where are the Eden amps made?

17. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Used to be made in USA....now they are all made in China.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    For the record I tried out an Eden WT400, but went back to the LMII. The wt400 is a nice amp for sure, but I prefer my LMII for weight, reliability (I just cant trust Eden CS... the LMII seems super reliable) and yes, tone. The wt400 seemed a bit too thick and warm for my band's requirements.

19. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Eden is made here in Good Ole USA, So is Carvin, Peavey, ... Eden is a nice choice if you want to spend the cash. Thier WXT550 is in the same hold pattern as the LM-III

20. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Really? I seem to recall a thread of yours that clearly stated that the Eden was by far the better amp. :D