1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Which material to make a bone nut shim?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maturanesa, Sep 1, 2017.

1. I got to rise a bit a bone nut but dont know wich material would work better as a shim in order to glue shim+nut.
    Buying a preslotted nut is not an option right now because its a custom/rare 5 string spacing.

Also, what is better fill the slots or a shim?
    I dont know any harder material than bone to fill them anyway..

thnx!

2. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    i suppose i should ask why you need to raise the nut up a bit...but brass or stainless steel shim stock is a good choice for a temp fix. filling the slots never seems to go the distance and they still need to be re-cut, shaped, etc..

better off shimming until you can get to a shop and have it looked at.

3. It was a bit harder to press fret 1 so i filled the base of the nut, but now it rattles, so i need to put a thin shim cause apprently i wen too far..

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the shim is better.

a thin piece of wood veneer is fine, as is a strip of thick paper (which is really just wood anyway).

maturanesa likes this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Beer can aluminum is great as it can be trimmed to size with an xacto razor. Also used super-thin wood veneer as @walterw suggested.

Riis

6. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    I've tried a lot of paper-based materials: business cards, sandpaper, baseball cards, etc. I haven't noticed any differences in tone or sustain.

When I file nut slots, I put 2-3 layers of masking tape over the first fret. When it starts buzzing, I know to stop filing, and it's usually not too low to cause buzzing when I remove the tape. Usually.

maturanesa likes this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Sometimes I glue the nut to a business card with some super thin CA glue. Then I trim around the nut with a sharp xacto. The thin CA soaks into the business card and really hardens it. Just be careful you don't glue the nut and business card to your work surface - use some wax paper under the card.

maturanesa and Geri O like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021