Which Memorable Bass do You Regret NOT Buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Artto, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Artto

Artto

Oct 3, 2018
    There are three for me.

A 70's something Fender Precision fretless maple fingerboard, no fret lines, seafoam green

A 70's something Fender Jazz, black, rosewood fretboard, white block inlays. I could just feel the power in that instrument vibrate me without an amp.

A Rickenbacker 4001 fireglow, fretless, at Guitar Center for $450 (early/mid 90's). Went back the next day and it was gone.

2. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Acacia 4 string with Lane Poor pickups and a Kahler whammy bridge. Back in the days of "The Bottom Line" email group.
    Told seller I was going to buy it but needed to get a paycheck. He told me he would wait three days for me to get the finances together. Scrambled and got the $ in two days. Contacted him and he had sold it. I was, shall we say, disaffected.

I know ..... you snooze, you lose ........ but his word was a turd.

scuzzy likes this.
  3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    A couple of EB3's I passed on , and a RD Artist . The Artist was heavy , and the neck was clunky but the original Moog electronics were still working and it was $800 . I can't count the number of early Pbasses I passed up on because I already had a nice one . It was a 72 , some of the Pbasses I passed on were pre CBS .

4. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I've never NOT bought a bass I wanted. No regrets.

equill, mongo2, IngloriousOz and 4 others like this.
  5. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    A used Pedulla Pentabuzz fretless about 20 years ago. I tried it at the Seattle Guitar Center, but didn't pull the trigger. Went back later and it was gone. Best tone and feel I've ever experienced. I have a Buzz now that I love, but wish I had that 5 string. It would cost me 3 times as much as it was priced at then if I were to get one today.

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I forgot for a second , I passed on a 4002 for $1500 because I already had a 4001 that I loved . I did manage to get a 4000 though .

7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    I just regret not buying a vanilla P bass about 30 years ago and instead travelling through all sorts of active basses before realizing I wanted beans and toast.

8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I returned a $300 Spector euro 4lx because I felt bad buying another bass and my wife was unhappy.
    It sold again muy rapido.

I passed on a used and worn Epiphone Vince Hornsby signature bass for a nice price and upgraded electronics. Only seen one other for sale since.

I narrowly missed out on a Japanese made gretsch hollow body bass on GC used site. TV Jones and all.

I get most of the great ones I see. As Marshawn Lynch says....

"Sometimes I get mine and sometimes I get got. But I get mine more than I get got."

Truer words have never been spoken.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    A couple of basses that I didn't buy were simply out of my reach from a financial standpoint at the given moment in time, hence no regrets realistically speaking.

The original PRS bass which blew me away when I first tried it back in '87.

A well-kept Gibson EB-2DC that I missed on a couple of months ago on this very forum.

That's about it, really. Given the amount of instruments that I've wanted and bought over the past 40 years, I've got zero reasons to complain.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Nice Squier James Johnston copy of this bass on Ebay back in 2017.
    Should've bought it without even thinking of it. Can't quite remember the price but under $500.
    [​IMG]

The Owl, Wisebass and lowdownthump like this.
  11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Kramer XL-8
    [​IMG]

12. Dred54

Dred54

Feb 3, 2019
    I had a chance to buy one of Richard Bona's Foderas in 2002 and I couldn't come up with the cash. It still hurts.

PockySteve and goldenglory18 like this.
  13. A lefty Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord. There's like, two of them. And the seller lived 20 minutes away.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    GTHintz, alaskaleftybass and nbsipics like this.
  14. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Beat to hell-and-back P-Bass Walnut Special. It needed tons of work but it sounded SOOOO good! Sure wish I had that decision to make all over again.

15. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    One of the very first Wunkays. Could've gotten it just above cost at the shop where I worked. (Runner up: 1980 P Special LPB; same situation)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. InDaDoghouse

InDaDoghouse

Mar 19, 2018
    Yeehaw
    A single pickup Pedulla Rapture when they very first came out. I played that and it sounded very fine, and I swear it made me play better.

alaskaleftybass and Dabndug like this.
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A well used Pedulla Thunderbass 5 at GC in Roseville, MN. Had a few scratches and dings, but it played and sounded phenomenal. Checked out a few other stores, came back with the intention of buying it, and it was gone.

18. j.albert

j.albert

Oct 15, 2014
    California
    A tuxedo Dingwall Super P. Oops.

LawDog, IngloriousOz and lowdownthump like this.
  19. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    A maple Rickenbacker 4002 at Consignment Music in Memphis, 1998 or so, for $700. I was in grad school and couldn't afford it. Been kicking myself ever since.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021