Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which mesa walkabout scout would you choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shri, Mar 27, 2004.

1. The one with the 15' cab

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. The one with the 12' cab

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    hi,

I'm about to buy a walkabout scout combo but i've only been able to try the 12' model. Has anyone also tried the 15' and can tell the differences in sound and if the 15's for example is too muddy or the 12' doesn't have enough low end compared to the 15' one? I loved the sound of the 12' but i tried once a BA115 ampeg and loved the 15' cab in it. Better lows. Also i have tried an ashdown combo with a 15' and found it too muddy.

2. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    please !! can someone answer?? :(

3. I would definitely get the 12"er. Later on I'd get an additional 12" cab. The 12" speakers are IMO the best of both worlds. They give you the low end of a 15" and also almost the crispiness of a 10".

In a live environment, any 15" can sound a little muddy.

:bassist:

4. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Oh cool !!! thanks for answering!! :smug: That's what i feared about having a 15" cab... i think that most of the people who got that combo went for the 12" version.

5. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Can someone else tell me why he bought one and not the other please?

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't have a Mesa, but I have a GK 700RB/112. (The 12" version of a combo that came with either a 12, a 15 or 2 10s.)

I echo what has been said. The 12s are better all around speaks IMO. Deep enough and punchy enough.

Good luck

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you are going to get an amp to "walkabout" with, doesn't it make sense to the smaller one? If I want a 15", I will get a bigger amp and a few friends to help me haul it. I scored the 12", and I can bring that sucker on the bus no problem. Wasn't a tonal choice for me, just a size issue.

8. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :D thanks for the info !!

9. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    you're right, i want something that is easy to carry and still have a great tone so apprently the 12" is like that. thanks for the info too ! :D

10. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    then the winner is the 12" !!!!! :hyper: