Which metal bass line do you feel is difficult?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Be HonesT!!!! what Metal bassline was either difficult to learn or just flat out hard to be able to learn!
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    There's that one riff at the end of the guitar solo in Metallica's Master of Puppets that I can never seem to nail. I probably need to change my position or something.

I can think of a couple of other songs from Metallica that seem really hard to me...like Battery.

Of course,

To me the hardest thing about learning metal basslines is hearing the bass well enough to transcribe them!!!
  3. most definitely in the majority of metal songs!!!
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've never completed flight of the Bumblebee by Manowar.
  5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    the intro to NIB...the really distorted intro thing, not the regular one. I can almost nail it, but there's a part, where no matter how many times I listen to it, it just seems to evade me. I'll get it sooner or later though. Good ol' Geezer.

A lot of Black Sabbath and Ozzy stuff has some cool basslines that sometimes I can't grasp, but eventually I can figger them out.

Guitar parts screw me up a lot....but that's because they are guitar parts, so those don't count I guess, but still.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im currently learning Death Blooms by Mudvayne, but im trying to learn the live version where he has a little slap solo.
  7. goodluck with that dude.......I love the mudvayne riffs..some of them take awhile to learn but once you got it down.they're so fun!!

btw.....do you tune your Hohner CGCF...if so how is the tension\clarity?
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Most any Spiral Architect line.
  9. We used to play a couple of Death songs from "Individual Thought Patterns". Pretty hard stuff from Mr. DiGiorgio.
  10. Ding Ding Ding; We have a winnah!!
  11. I don't know man, that intro is pretty easy. As long as you got the right tab of course. The bass solo before it is way harder though. I still don't got it down.

12. Definately, 'Dig' and 'Death blooms' are soooo much fun to play.

The only downside is the fact that you have to detune your bass so freaking low. :p
  13. yea...the detuning can be uncool. I leave my C-305 detuned to the mudvayne tuning, and it sounds so awesome..I did those downward plucks\fingerslaps that Ryan does..once you get that down, playing most of the mudvayne songs aren't too hard, but they sure as hell are fun!
  14. I haven't even tried learning Mudvayne songs. I'm still somewhat new to bass, but that muting slap part in Dig looks hella hard to play on account he plays it so damned fast.
  15. .

w\o challenge, there is no progression!
    Hell......can you DIG it??:p :bassist:
  16. LoL, i hear ya man
  17. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    The bass solo is what I'm talkin about. I can nail all the rest of the song easily. The solo is just a tad fast to figure out though. And tabs? pshhh, I don't need no stinkin tabs! ;)
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea thats how i tune it. The tension is a little loose so i play near the bridge pickup and its fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.