Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which metal bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mole, Apr 1, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of buying a new bass guitar, looking for something in the $400-$600 mark. I play mostly heavy music... which means a lot of downtuned stuff so I need something that can cope with tunings like A-G-C-F.

I'm tempted to go for a BC Rich Mockingbird, unless anyone has any idea what bass this is:

[​IMG]

More pics can be found here http://www.mastodonrocks.com/photos.html

Cheers!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It'd be a Fender... not sure of the model though:
    [​IMG]

Ray

Edit: looks like it matches pretty closely to the Dimension IV bass from them, only thing I notice off the bat that's different it the logo placement:
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0138000320

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Upon further inspection, it prolly isn't a Dim. IV. I dunno what it is...

Ray

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Warwick vampires look pretty sweet and have killer tone. If thats a bit out of your price range you could go warwick rock bass too.

5. Ah, good spot sir! I swear I looked at every pic with the headstock in and couldn't see a name... lol, well it is nearly 3am here :)

Cheers for the help, I'm gonna have to try a few Fender's when I'm in a guitar shop next.

BTW, what are everyones opinions on the Warwick RockBass series?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a Fender Prophecy, I believe.

7. That's pretty spooky, you must have read my mind! lol. Answered the question before even asking :)

8. It is. He uses Ampeg amps/cabs and a bluebeard fuzz pedal which I've never heard of but just listen to 'Leviathan' and it's pretty clear why he uses it :bassist:

If you're gonna play with that tuning I suggest trying a Status bass, I used them for years in really low tunings and they handle it really well. It don;t have to be one of the pricey graphite ones either, I played the Barracuda and Shark model and they were great.

Of course if money is no issue, get a Buzzard :hyper:

9. I think those Status basses are probably out of my price range... unless you have any idea what they start at? Their website doesn't give any prices, and I'm too afraid to call up :bag: lol

I like the look of the Fender Dimension Bass V:

[​IMG]

Not the most amazing body design, but I think the simple design with black hardware on black makes it look very sleek and.... metal :) Anyone have any experience with this bass? I've heard it's possible to get a huge range of tones from it, so sounds good to me.

I currently play an OLP MM3, so I've got used to the spacing of a 5-string and find I can play more quickly/smoothly then on a 4-string. As someone said in a thread a while ago, I wish BC Rich would make a 5-string Mockingbird!

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The Warwick Vampyre is a very nice, I don't really like the Warwick sound for metal personally, but a lot of people do and they are well made instruments. You will be hard pressed to find one in that price range though. The rock bass Vampyre is crap, don't confuse the two. I would also not recomend anything from BC Rich. Their low end guitars are predominantly trash and their high end guitars are way, way over priced. However they did turn out some good basses during the early 80s and the mid 90s in the NJ and American lines, if you are hunting used.

In my opinion the metal basses in the low end range are ESPs. I paid $350 on closeout for my F205 and it kicks a$$ for any kind of metal: doom, black, death, grind. The new F254 and 255 are exually good, they run around $500 new. Ibanez also makes quality basses throughout the price range, I don't like them personally but they are worth looking at.

Another company to check would be Spector. I've never owned one but all the ones I've played were really cool. You might be able to get one used for $600.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    AGCF? That's not fourths. Would that low A totally throw you off, being that it is two steps lower than CGCF (straight fourths)?

12. Sorry, I'm not a big expert on tuning... all I know is that's what Mastodon tune to in most of their songs and it sounds fine.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its actually not that odd a tuning, everything is dropped a whole step, except the E string which is dropped a whole 4th. Sounds odd until you imagine a 5 string tuned down the same interval, that would be ADGCF...he's just skipped the 2nd lowest string.

PS: Are you looking for a 4 or 5? If you want to do drop tuning on a 5 string I highly recomend the ESP F series. They all have 35" scale lengths which make it easier to get your bass set up with good feel and tension when you are tuning that 5th string down into the A/G# neighborhood.

14. Those ESP basses are pretty nice, but just slightly above my price range... thx anyway :)

I was originally going to buy a 4-string, then I thought what's the point when I'm better at playing a 5-string now... and now I'm considering getting a 6-string, lol!

I was actually thinking of getting a Dean Edge 6 a couple of years ago, and after looking at it again, it seems to be right up my alley. 35 inch scale, active electronics and I love the finish on the trans black. I'm into progressive music, such as Dream Theater, and I've wanted a 6-string for a while.

Anyone wanna stop me before I go for it?

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The F series ESPs are around $400 for a 4 and $500 for a 5, and in my opinion are some of the best basses in the world in that price range and beyond.

When I was shopping for my last bass my budget was actually $1500. I played a great many instruments, from Fenders to Spectors to Warwicks to used BC Riches. I found nothing that was better than the F205 for the style and sound I wanted until I was well passed the $1500 mark (a euro spector neck thru for around $2000 was the next bass I really clicked with).

I'm an ESP fan for life now, though I would like some kind of low-mid range fretless (probably a bolt on spector) to tide me over until my Steve D. knock off custom ESP can be purchased.

One more thing: I versitility is a concern of yours the F series are still quite good. I used mine in my school Jazz ensemble and it fits right in (with the pickup blend in the right place and the onboard EQ flat you can get a pretty smooth uprighty kind of tone), though I look kinda odd on stage next to all those semi-hollow guitars :)

17. Thanks for all your help Tash, after a lot of thought I've decided that I'm gonna go for the LTD F-255 in gunmetal blue :D The body shape has grown on me, and I think that finish looks just right... (not overly metal). I'll probably order in the next few weeks, need my student loan to come through first!

Thanks to everyone else that posted advice, I really appreciate it :)

18. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm using a Lakland 55-01 with the E tuned to D....sounds great cuts/growls very nicely...

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Awesome, hope you like yours as much as I do mine. Mine's Titanium Gray though :)

20. Check out the new issue of Bass Guitar....good article on Mastodon and equipment.