Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which mic do you use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Audio Technica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Audix

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Shure

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Sennheiser

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Rode

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Neumann

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. B.L.U.E.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Oktava

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. AKG

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. Sony

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  11. Samson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  13. A plugged-in carrot

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  14. Electro Voice

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. I know a lot of you guys sing as well as play, and I was wondering what you use? I have a soft spot for the Sennheiser E835. I actually sound half-way decent through it, and at $100 it's pretty damn cheap. So what's your vocal rig?

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

2. I sing backing vox only.

The mic I own, operate, and prefer is an SM57 with the Shure windscreen. Quiet outdoors (no wind noise), no 'p' pops, thx to the screen. Clean and clear sounding. Plus, the little foamy feels better on my mouth than a hard screen.:D

Our drummer (also a pro soundguy) says I sound better through his Beta 58, so I've been using that for the last 5 months.

I've never tried the Audix OM-5, but I'm reading reviews and opinions that it's a hot rod mic, the tone and gain before feedback are supposedly pretty impressive. Be interesting to see if anyone here likes them.

3. I couldn't help voting the plugged-in carrot :D , But should have voted other..

I use a Fender mic that came with a 4 channel PA system that I bough like 5 years ago and is now produced under the name of Squier. But I'm pretty shure :p that fender stills makes mics. Its a very good one.. Doesn't accentuate the highs as it did when it was new but that's due to the treatment it has received.

4. I used a Beta 58A and an OM-5 before they both got stolen at a gig. Now I just don't sing, but my singer uses my Beta 57A and the other singer uses an SM57. The OM-5 can get loud without feeding back and it sounds pretty nice. I like Audix mics.

5. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    Shure Beta 58A.

6. I use the good old Shure SM58. Works pretty well for my voice. There's probably a better match for me out there but I'm too lazy to try a bunch of mics.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Shure SM58.

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    THe classic SM57....cheap good and cardiod!!

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    SM57

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

SM57

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, this is for recording rather than live - but my mic is an AKG C3000B, so I went for the AKG option. I've also had quite a bit of use out of a Sennheiser MKH40 (I think it's the MKH40? The cardioid one, anyway) - which belongs to my Dad.

12. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I generally use Audix OM5's and 6's.
    Great gain b4 feedback, and just enough mid presence.
    I have a few Audix OM7's.....they require a bit more gain at the pre stage.

I also have a few Sennheisers - E835's , 845's and 1-855 which I do like alot.

The best sounding live vocal mic I own is a Neumann KMS-105. Great gain b4 feedback....tremendous punch and presence.
    I just don't like bringing a $500 vocal mic to every bar gig. :)

The SM58 is a staple ( still widely used ) ...and I have a few in my mic case....I just think the Audix is much better. YMMV.

PJR

13. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Beta 58. Still smells like smoke, too. If it gets mixed up with the other mics at my church gig, I can always tell which one it is.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
    (no, I don't smoke, either)

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I've been using the ol' SM57 for vox in rehearsals. At gigs, I use whatever they supply.

I would like to spring for a Beta 58 at some point because I thought I sounded better with it, but it keeps getting bumped down on my list of 'must have' items.

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Shures have it for me. I only do backing vocals, so I have a Beta 58 and a Green Bullet (harmonica mic, great compression on vocals). I just got a CAD I can't wait to try out.

16. Shure SM58 for my vocals, Oktava for miking my bass amp

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's what I have. I have a newer one, from the early 90's. All rubberized. and I have 2 Turner mics from the 50's that my late stepDad (a KILLER SaxPlayer he was!) left me.
    Very cool looking silver mics. I'll post a pic.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Here's the pic.

[​IMG]

19. Shure Beta58A.

20. At the mo, I'm using a cheap £20 Phillips mic...it gets the job done, and I need all the money I can for a new amp...let the vocalist buy me a new mic.:p