Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which mic is better for vocals?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SomeGuy118, Dec 29, 2002.

1. For x-mas I got a AKG D790, (for vocals) I had asked for the Shure SM58, but the guy at the music store told my dad the AKG was better. I have not been able to find alot of information on the AKG so for me, its hard to compare it to the SM58. Anyway what I'm getting at is, was the sales person right or did he rip us off?

2. Mics vary a lot in sound. AKG is a good manufacturer. But for my voice, I prefer the Shure SM58. It's essentially a reference standard for dynamic (as opposed to condenser) vocal mics.

Why don't you and your dad go back to the store, and try both? See which suits YOUR voice better; they're about the same price, I think. Don't you have the D770, BTW?

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I prefer the Shure SM-58. My whole abnd uses them. They work amazing, but I'm sure that you can't og wrong with either.

4. no, I never had a D770. Actualy this is my first "real" mic, before this I was useing a $10 mic we got for free with our PA.

5. According to the AKG website, the D790 is not in their current line. It might be a good idea to check that out.

6. sm58s work very nicely. they're sorta the industry standard; you see them in tons of clips of people performing. it's like the fender jazz bass of microphones. if not, then i'm wrong.
    but they're still good mics.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    SM-58's are also pretty much indestructable.

8. if you're swinging it around like daltrey, and you kinda...let go...some damage can be done. i know 'cause....uh, this guy told me about it. yeah, HE was the one who did it. yeah.

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    well jeebus!!
    i actually use a sm-57 for vocals!!!
    well i did on one song so far..
    it was my friends but i just bought a EV Cobalt Co4 hoping it sounds as good as the sm57.
    The 58 is really good though. Ive used a couple of em at church to do some maiden covors.. yes we did number of the beast in church. =D well noone was there

10. You mean Fender Precision right? ;)

I have no idea how much that AKG mic cost, but you could buy the Shure Beta 58A for a few bills over a hundred. It has a slightly better frequency response (50hz to 16Khz as opposed to 50hz to 15Khz).

11. A SM57 is a preffered drum/instrument microphone but you can sing through it... its jst a hell of a lot more directional.

The 58 yes is the industry standard and people time and time again go back to them. AKG make very good mics in comparison.

Someone suggested above to try them out. I dont listen to the sales guy too much, afterall they want the sale. If they need to move that Mic from the shelf, they'll tell you anything. Its a good suggestion to try it. You might find it crap, and the 58 better. Or you may find the 58 about the same and couldnt be bothered changing it.

:D:D

Merls

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm asuming that you're talking about live applications. to be honest, the sm58, while the standard, imo is pretty lame. the only real thing it has going for it is that it's cheap. using one for recording would sound pretty weak, ime - there's no substitute for a decent condenser.

btw, this is music related, so it's off to misc.

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Shouldn't it be in Recording Gear & Equipment?

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just purchased a new microphone.....I was looking to buy the SM-58, but I ended up buying an Audix OM-2. Much better feedback resistance than the SM-58, and a little fuller sound.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i assumed, as i stated, that this was for live applications. i'd be loathe to call an sm58 a recording mic. ;)

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The 57 and the 58 use identical capsules. The only difference in freq response is caused by the built in windscreen. They are roughly the same microphone.