1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which micro head is closest to Ashdown ABM tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, May 12, 2010.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of swapping out one of my Ashdown ABM heads for something that'll fit in my gig-bag pocket. I'm really happy with the sound of the ABM (both of mine are from the original Klystron Magnifier series, made in UK, pre-EVO) so I'm looking for recommendations of what would get me closest to that sound without adding a pedal up front. I usually have the EQ off, shape on, valve/solid dial about half way, gain so the signal is just into the red on the VU and volume to taste. Probably combine whatever head I decide on with an Aguilar GS112 for rehearsals/small gigs and/or my tasty Tech Soundsystems 4x12 for bigger stuff.

My initial thought is Orange Terror Bass 500, but it won't fit in the gig-bag...

Cheers!

Ian

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'd say Ashdown's mini-heads.

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'm not a fan of the ashdown mini-heads. They don't sound anything like the ABM series and are seriously under-powered for their rated output (and the fact you can't bridge the 1000 watt little giant is a crazy design).

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Anyone?

5. I don't have any experience, but i'm pretty sure that from the specs the Bass Terror sounds good. Specs don't really account for anything though, you'll have to A/B them. Won't fit in your gig-bag? How small are you expecting?

6. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Well there are micro amp offerings from Markbass, GK, EA, Genz Benz and a host of others, many of which will fit comfortably in your gig-bag pocket. The ability to cover the rough tonal range of my ABM AND fit in a gig bag pocket shouldn't be much of a stretch since the hard bit's already done (miniaturisation)!

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've yet to find a micro that sounds anything like the Ashdown head that you have. That Ashdown head isn't that big. Trust me, if you like what you have than stick with it. Those are great amps.

8. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It's not exactly micro but it's smaller---Mesa Walkabout?