Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which microphone for my bass??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kelu, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I'm looking for a microphone for my bass..
    I have no idea of what is good and what isn't..
    Can you advise me please??

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    your going to have to be more specific. What type of cab do you have? What type of sound are you going for? Are you talking about a double bass, if so, you are in the wrong place. Are talking about an ABG?

3. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I ll try to have clearer words despite my awful english..
    1st my gear : Musicman Sterling, hartke 3500 head + 1x15' Mesa Boobie cab..
    2nd : I need a microphone to get my sound 'repick' by a 'table of mixage'.. I dont know if u understand.. I mean I want to put my bass sound in the table used by the singer of my band..
    Someone has already lend me a microphone which was made to repick bass, It has a big aspect, much bigger and rounder than a classic SM57..
    Can u give me reference of that type of microphone?? Thx

4. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I d like to have a very deep sound, sub bass..
    I love the reggae dub sound !

5. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I have used a sm57 and a AKG1000 (condensator) to mike my cabinet and plugged it directly into the mixingtable. both worked out good, but the sm57 needed a little eq. I don't know if the AKG can put up with the sound pressure for the cab, so i would prefer to use a mike made for bass drum because they are more rugged and have a good response in the low frequensies.

For recording i use both a mike on the cabinet to get the growl from my fender bassman and 2x15 cabs and a direct box that goes to a second track on recorder.

tore

6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    if you want deep, go with a Shure Beta 52. or any other bass drum mic for that matter. But, if you want a good sound with definition and clarity, use a 52 with a 57 or senn 421

7. An AKG D112 is a decent mic for a bass cab, and is pretty reasonable in price.