Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which military leader are you most like?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    http://www.military.com/ResourceContent/?file=lpm_fd.htm

you'll need to sign up but the sign up is basicly nothing, it doesn't go into detail or anything.

This is mine

Based on your answers, your profile matches...

Omar Bradley!

Biography:

Born in Clark, Missouri, Omar Bradley was the son of a schoolteacher. He attended West Point and rose through the ranks in the period between World War I and World War II. Bradley reached the apex of his career in World War II and the years immediately following. Bradley succeeded George Patton as commander of the II Corps in 1943 and led it in the Tunisia and Sicily campaigns. He commanded the 1st Army in the Normandy landings on June 6, 1944. On August 1 he assumed command of the 12th Army Group, the largest field command in US history. After the war, he became head of the Veterans Administration. He then became army chief of staff, and in 1949 he became the first chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Leadership Attributes:

Personally, Bradley was self-effacing and quiet. He was often overshadowed by the more flamboyant Patton and MacArthur — which suited Bradley just fine. But he was innovative in his conception of war. He admired William Tecumseh Sherman, and thought he was a master of battle movements. In fact, he thought Sherman was more important than the commanders of battle units in World War I.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Heh, I'm Ike.

Biography:

Dwight Eisenhower was both a great military leader and politician. An innovative tank commander before World War II, Eisenhower was appointed to lead the invasion of North Africa as Commander of the European Theater of Operations. He was later chosen to command Operation Overlord, the invasion of Northern Europe, and later became supreme commander of the Allied forces in western Europe. After his military career, he ran for and won the Presidency.

Leadership Attributes:

An avid planner, Eisenhower worked in the army's war plans division and was known for his strong strategic and organizational skills. Eisenhower was given the position of Supreme Allied Commander partially because of his consummate diplomatic skills. He used his skills throughout the war to balance the various Allied personalities. Field Marshall Montgomery said that Eisenhower was the only one with the personality to get all of the Allies to cooperate and win the war. Personally, he was likable and outgoing. Indeed, the motto of his presidential campaign reflected this: "I like Ike."

EDIT: I went and looked at all the possible choices... I didn't know JPJ was a military leader!

3. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    Ulysses S Grant

Biography:

Unsuccessful in civilian life, Ulysses S Grant was made for the battlefield. Grant was the military leader who defeated the Confederates and their innovative generals. After the war, he was elected President and oversaw Reconstruction in the South. He died of throat cancer — the result of a lifelong habit of cigar smoking — but completed his memoirs before his death in 1885.

Leadership Attributes:

Personally reserved, Grant was tenacious in battle. Once he set a course, he wanted to see it to its end, as in the siege of Vicksburg. He was one to seize the initiative as well. After several failed attempts to get to Vicksburg, Grant moved his army south to cross the Mississippi — during this time he was cut off from all communication and most supplies. The taking of the city on July 4, 1863, was a turning point in the war. Ulysses S Grant's nickname was "unconditional surrender" — and he trusted fighting more than diplomacy. But when opposing forces did surrender, he was usually magnanimous in their treatment.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...interesting...

I'm Wes Clark:

Biography:

Graduating from West Point at the head of his class, Wes Clark has achieved success throughout his military career. He served in Vietnam; was a key negotiator of the Dayton Peace Accords; and was head of the U.S. European Command. Clark was an Armor Officer who commanded at every level from company to division. As Supreme Allied Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, he led the 19-member alliance to victory in Kosovo — NATO's longest and most difficult military campaign.

Leadership Attributes:

Clark has had a distinguished military career. As Commander-in-Chief, United States Southern Command, Panama, he directed all U.S. forces in Latin America and the Caribbean. As the Director, Strategic Plans and Policy, J5, the Joint Staff, he was the staff officer responsible for U.S. military strategic planning. Clark is also known for considerable diplomatic prowess — he was chiefly responsible for holding together the 19-member NATO alliance in Kosovo. He was also the lead military negotiator of the Dayton Peace Accords that brought the war in the former Yugoslavia to a halt.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Another Omar Bradley.

6. Arthur Wellesley,
    Duke of Wellington!

Biography:

Known as the Iron Duke, the Duke of Wellington was an accomplished leader both politically and militarily. After attending military school, he was sent to India, where he defeated the Tipu Sultan and the Marathas. When the Portuguese rose against Napoleon, Wellesley was ordered to support them, and he won success in what became known as the Peninsular War. He invaded France days after Napoleon abdicated. However, when Napoleon escaped exile and rose again, Wellington and the Prussian field marshal Gebhard Leberecht Blücher defeated him at the famous battle of Waterloo. Consequently, he became Britain's greatest hero. He later leveraged his popularity on the battlefield to become Prime Minister.

Leadership Attributes:

Wellington was known as a cautious general and a careful planner. He paid great attention to detail, with outstanding results. He was as great a diplomat as warrior. After victory at Assaye in India, he personally negotiated the treaty. A hero of the entire nation, Wellington was reserved and unassuming.

...nice.

Leigh

7. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Patton. I'm stunned. ;)

Biography:

Born in San Gabriel, California, Patton was a descendant of an old Virginia family. He attended West Point, and he placed fifth in the military pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics. He fought well in World War I, leading a tank brigade, and he became an advocate of this new weapon. He became a household name in World War II. In October 1942, Patton directed the amphibious landings near Casablanca and the North African campaign. He also commanded the U.S. Seventh Army in the Allied invasion of Sicily.

Leadership Attributes:

A**hole.

:D

[Jon, I'll try to give you a call Wed nite or so; I'll be on Security Hill Tues & Wed, but should have at least the a-noon on Thurs free. Be a pleasure to meet ya. :cool: ]

8. Robert E. Lee

Biography:

Robert E. Lee was the legendary commander of the Confederate forces in the Civil War. Against overwhelming odds, Lee scored victory after victory against the Union forces led by seven different generals. Famous battles include: 2nd Bull Run, Antietam, Gettysburg, and — possibly his greatest performance — Chancellorsville. Outnumbered two to one, Lee broke with convention and divided his forces not once but twice — ultimately driving the Federal army under Joseph Hooker from the field.

Leadership Attributes:

Personally, General Lee was reserved and seemed enigmatic to his men. But on the battlefield he was daring and audacious, as at Chancellorsville, where he divided his troops in the face of greater opposing forces. His diplomatic skills were as well-honed as his generalship. For example, in his early role as presidential adviser to Jefferson Davis, he tried to ease the difficult personalities of Confederacy President Jefferson Davis and General Joseph E. Johnston.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Based on your answers, your profile matches...

William C. Westmoreland!

Photo: William Westmoreland.
    National Archives

Biography:

Born on March 26, 1914 into a wealthy family of textile manufacturers, William Westmoreland led a life of leadership. He graduated from West Point with many awards, including the Pershing Award for leadership. He commanded artillery units in North Africa and Sicily in World War II. During the Korean War, Westmoreland commanded an airborne brigade, and later he commanded the 101st Airborne Division. He later became the youngest major general and the second youngest superintendent (after MacArthur) of West Point. Westmoreland is best known for commanding the war effort in Vietnam.

Leadership Attributes:

General Westmoreland was generally a careful strategist. In Vietnam, he followed a conservative strategy, advocating a war of attrition against the Viet Cong. Westmoreland normally allowed no operations by units smaller than the battalion, and he insisted on strong artillery support. Westmoreland was more a warrior than diplomat. He found it difficult to tread the fine line of public ambivalence to the Vietnam War. Personally, Westmoreland was brave in battle. During World War II, he often scouted ahead of the guns; while doing so in Sicily, his jeep was hit but he escaped injury.

10. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Teddy Roosevelt!!

Bully!!!

11. Damnit!

I don't need no stinkin' site to tell me I'm freakin' James Gavin!!!

Go 505th!