1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which MIM P Bass Do I Keep?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasper383, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Natural Ash, Black Pickguard, SD Quarter Pounder Pickup

43 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Arctic White, Red Tort Pickguard, SD Vintage P Pickup

38 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I find myself with 2 MIM P basses, and finances dictate that I only keep one. But which one?

They are opposites, yet equal. One is the ash special edition from Guitar Center, with black pickguard and a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup. It plays nicely, and is the brighter of the two, not to mention louder because of the pickup.

The other is Arctic White with a red tort pickguard, and a Seymour Duncan Vintage P pickup. It is woodier sounding, and has a more vintage sound. It plays the same as the other one.

Which one do I keep? I change my mind on this one so often, I need some advice. Thank you.

2. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    which dog do i keep?

The brown one? or the slightly darker brown one which i love just as much?

Eesh. its all opinion man, sorry for slating and such but there is no way we can make your mind up for you on this.

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    why not pull the p/u from the arctic, drop in a cheapy and sell it on? Ash+Special Edition might have a slightly higher resale value, and that ash bass will look good on a variety of stages, playing a variety of music.

As far as the tone, I think it's easier to pull brightness out than put it in.

Joe

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    No two basses are the same. Keep the one that plays and sounds best to you.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sell something else. You will always need a backup.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Put the 1/4 Pounder in the white one and keep it.

Graeme

7. I think those two sounds pretty similar... But black on ash looks better compared to red on white. I'm not saying red on white is ugly, I'm just saying it can't be compared with black on ash.

8. First of all, what else do you have? I'm trying to 'vintage up' the sound of my P. I'm going for a specific, possibly narrow sound, but that's because it's not my main axe so I can let it be a 'one trick pony'. If whichever one you keep is not going to be your main bass then you keep whichever one gives you something that you can get out of the rest of your basses. You gotta have a range.

If the one you keep will be your main (or only) bass then you keep the one that (a) gives you the greatest range of tones, and (b) fits best with what you play.

Of course ultimately it has to be your call. Hope I've helped.

Cheers

9. Keep Artic White and Vintage Pickup.

10. Keep both of them and get a second job. Two basses = two jobs. Or, you could give either one to me,LOL :D Personally, I like the ash and black with the quarter pounder. In the end, it's your choice. :crying:

11. i dont get it, its not like a bass costs money to maintain, how can you not afford to have a bit of wood and metal sitting there?

12. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I would go with the ash P-bass, they aren't as common, whereas you can find an arctic white MIM almost anywhere, and get a pg from Warmoth/Allparts/etc.....but I would recommend buying the SD pickup offbrand from MF or GC for like $20, and keep the good SD pickup...

But that is what I would do.....