Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silky smoove, Feb 16, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been GAS'ing for a jazz bass for a while now, and am a relatively recent convert to the Modulus camp. So I'm a bit torn between a Vintage Jazz 4, and a Flea J4. Both would suit my want of a jazz style instrument just fine. I've already got a flea 4 with the standard MM pickup configuration, so having two similar basses could be nice for the familiarity aspect of things. However, I do really dig the look of a jazz bass.

Aside from the body shape the only difference I can see between the two is the neck profile. The flea is 1.56 at the nut and 2.45 wide at the 22nd fret. Whereas the VJ4 is 1.50 at the nut and 2.50 at the 21st fret. Basically the flea neck will be a little bit wider at the nut, but straighter as you travel up the neck, whereas the VJ4 will be narrower at the nut and will become wider more quickly as you move up the neck. Also there's the obvious difference of 1 fret, but I'm fine with either 21 or 22, so its a non-issue.

According to the Modulus website the price differnce is in favor of the VJ4 by about $400.

Are there any other noteable differences I should consider?

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Are you looking at a passive model or active model VJ4? Are you also considering a wood fingerboard? I don't think this is an option for the Flea bass. What jazz pickups are in the Flea bass? I know it is mostly Basslines... not sure of what model.

3. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Go with the VJ. I mean, you really can't go wrong with either, but go with the VJ. And if you are feeling adventurous, go with a Genesis. Or at least a VJ with the Genesis neck.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've grown quite accustomed to the phenolic fretboard, so in either case it would not be wood. The J pickups would be removed regardless and replaced with DiMarzio Model J's (they're my favorite). I'd probably go with an onboard pre, but stick in an active/passive switch.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a few jazz basses, but I love the sound of the VJ passive. I only have two basses that are passive and this is one of them. I think the VJ is the way to go.

The wood fingerboard really makes it play and feel like an old jazz bass. I think the Genesis is a different animal, not bad... but the neck definitely gives you a different sound