1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which multi-fx should I try/review for their compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, Jan 21, 2008.

1. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Somebody here has been after me to validate how much they like the comp in their Zoom B2. I just now ran across an older post where somebody else said the compressor in the Boss ME-8B was very good. I have a fondness for the squelchy dirt of the comp in the Ibanez UE-303B.

So as part of my endless compressor-reviewing frenzy, I'm thinking I should pick up some multi's for review. Which ones should I get?

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    The compression on my Boss ME-6B is pretty good, but it can be a little noisy, but the built in noise supressor helps. The ME-6B and ME-8B are fairly similar so it shouldn't vary that much but who knows. On a side note - will you be reviewing the T-Rex CompNova?

3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [​IMG]

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ehhh... another Ross clone. Maybe the blend and tone knobs are implemented well, I should check them out in person. But generally I'm not big on Ross clones for bass.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Didn't you give the barge concepts RC-3 Ross clone a pretty good review? What don't you like about Ross clones, and what was good about the RC-3?

Also, im going to count the TC Nova Dynamics as a multi-effect - its got TWO compressors. TWO-multi, compressor-effect. Hahaha. Will you please try that one when it comes out.

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Well Bongo, I'm really glad to hear you're thinking about reviewing comps from multi's. I think you should check out Zoom B2 or B2.1u, and one of the Boss units (probably all have the same comp?). I haven't heard anything specific about the Digitech multis' comp assuming they have one. I tried out the Bass Pod once and the compressor on that was one of those single knob jokes but it also had a model of a dyna-comp which wasn't very impressive. Maybe the Pod X3or whatever has something better.
    I'm also very interested in that TC Nova comp. Do their multi's have comps? Like G-Force, G-System, G-spot, oops, that's something else.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, I'll definitely try the Nova but it may be a while before I find one at a price I'm willing to pay. Perhaps that will be one I'll have to buy new and then send back for a credit.

As I make clear in my reviews, Ross clones roll off the lows and are not suitable for 5 string bass. Also, the "boutique" ones all sound exactly alike, so who cares about one more. The Barge does get a good recommendation from me, but it's a tradeoff: it doesn't roll off lows so much, but it does roll off the highs (when in bass mode). It's a good pedal, but the thing is that the "magic" of the Ross circuit is in its singing, sustaining, bright highs. It's the ideal guitar compressor. But we bassists typically want more punch and thump and fatness and warmth, and that's a different range of qualities.

Everybody's got different tastes and needs though, so there are bassists who love their Ross clones.

8. I'm about to get a Rocktron Utopia--mostly to balance signals and eq among my different instruments, but also for multifx. It'll be interesting to hear how well the compressor works in it.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Bongo, email TC and show them your review page and the compressor megathread. If they reckon their product is good enough, sending you a free one to review could only do them good!

By the way, have you got the DHA comp yet? I see review coming soon, but was wondering if you had any initial impressions.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The DHA is still being built, I'm not sure when it will arrive.

I just might contact TC. Of course they'll see that my reviews are not all positive...

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It is a good idea, and why should they worry about a bad review, IF their pedal doesn't suck? Might be interesting, and a great way to check stuff out without having to pay everytime.:eyebrow:

12. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    You said something in a thread recently about how your reviews aren't meant to sound all that negative, but that almost all compressors have some compromises and it's a matter of picking the ones you can live with. If you added some language to that effect to your introduction to the reviews it might come off less "threatening" to TC or any other company that might be interested in having you review their stuff. They should understand that you're an audiophile with a critical ear.

13. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    I posted it to our our rep in the US last Friday, so it's on it's way.

Dave

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Thanks for the update!

15. I understand and agree with your stance on the Ross Comp. That is why the BYOC Ross looked attractive to me. Between the blend and tone knobs I'm hoping that this Ross is at least less of a compromise.

16. BTW Bongo, I was looking at the list of compressors that you want to review... The Trakker is amazing on pretty much any source. I can't imagine having something that expensive in a bass rack though. It's definitely a great compressor. If I had one complaint it would be that there's definitely a learning curve to using the "modeling" capabilities.

I've also used the Toft stuff. I was using the ATC-2 and not the DC-2 but I believe it's really the same compressor. It's been almost two years so I can't remember specifics but I do remember that I quickly took a disliking to the compression in the ATC. It had great EQ though and the pre-amps were okay. Again, I used these comps in a recording situation and not in a bass rig so YMMV but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on those.

Oh yeah sorry, I'm not intentionally trying to derail this thread.

Back to comps and multi's

17. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    Yamaha Magicstomp definitely...it has the most complete parameters I ever saw on a multifx. I have one but I never really dig into the compression part, coz I just love my EBS Multicomp too much...:)

18. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the comp in my Digitech BP-8. Would love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm moving to individual pedals now, so once I'm completely off of the BP-8 I could send it to you so you could do the review before I sell it.

19. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    How about a couple software / VST compressors?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021