Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which multi-pedals power supply choose ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kelu, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I don't know if there is a real difference exept the number of pedals you can plug on..
    There's the Dunlop one, the collins cps-108, the woodoo lab Pedal Power II, ..
    Do you know others that i could find in Europe, or on ebay usa???
    thx

2. I don't about availability in Europe, but I just bought one of these and it's a great unit for the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=151694

I just got mine today, and it seems like quality stuff. I had two pedals (just bought recently) that "hummed" like crazy with 2 other 9v power supplies I had tried. With the OneSpot, absolutely quiet. No problems running 3 pedals, and it has virtually every adapter imaginable.

Mag...

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have used the Voodoo Labs unit for a few years, and it is great, definitely worth the money.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I just did a bench test on the 1 Spot and it came out to 6.2V per with the 5 lead on it. I would go with the brick style (Dunlop, Voodoo or Pedal Pad 2).

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Why would it be less that 9? Is the 1Spot regulated?

6. I have both the 1spot and the voodoolabs pedal power 2...

the pedal power 2 is quite simply the best...cant find a darn thing wrong with it

the 1 spot i got to power a small board for my side project..i am getting more noise with these pedals than i am used to, and i find using a daisy chain pretty inconvenient...if u have a straight right to left setup of effects, its ok, but i have 2 rows, so it gets in the way...it was free with the purchase of the board, so i cant complain, but if i had the money, id grab a dunlop dc brick...the voodoo labs supply is a lot bigger and i dont have room for it, but if i did, thatd be my choice...

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    So the 1 spot would be a bad thing then? I have one...and don't want to ruin anything. I also have the Boss TU-2 tuner with the power daisy chain available. i could use that instead.

8. im going to be using 2 of the 9volt DC banks. The ones with 5 outputs. Ive never heard any bad things about them. I cant justify spending $350 odd dollars for a power supply by dunlop.

peace
    blake

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It won't hurt anything to run less voltage, your just not geeting the full potential of the better, this can cause noise as well.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Voodoo Labs PP II is the creme de la creme for sure, each outlet is isolated unlike the one-spots etc which have more potential for hum.
    Having said that, many people use one-spots etc with no real problems so it's up to you whether the price differential is worth it for you ($40 vs $170ish)

11. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Look at the CIOKS ones, it's not expensive (85euros - 73dollars) and seems as good as Voodoo Labs ones..
    The rca systems seems great..

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    An important distinction is that the Cioks (and dunlop brick) are really just glorified daisy chains. The Voodoo Labs has true isolation per output.
    Again, that may or may not be a big thing for you. But it's a big reason for the price difference.

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I picked up an EBS power supply. It's lightweight. I run a daisy chain off of it to power my pedals. Easy to find in Europe.

14. MickeyMickey

MickeyMickey

Dec 17, 2005
    I've been using a Godlyke power supply for over 2 years now. It works great and it powers every pedal I have. It also has those 9v battery connectors so I can power battery-powered pedals with it too.

15. I use the Burkey Flatliner. (www.burkey.nl) It does basically the same as a Voodoolab. Has 5 isolated 9V outputs, 1 12V output (for old Boss pedals) and some other stuff.

16. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Wow burkey is expencieve. 235 Euro.

I'm wondering, if there is a power supply which can power pedals with the different centers, one + and the other one -. I'm not quite sure that it's possible :)

17. If you happen back by this thread, could you please post some info on the type of bench test you ran?
    What type of load ( I assumed your test put a load), voltages, milliamps, type of meter used, etc...

Thanks..

Mag...

18. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    The Juicebox is my choice. It is esspecially good for the world traveller as it has a selectable switch to change between 120V and 240V so you don't have to have a different power supply when you travel between North America and the rest of the world.

http://www.pedalgear.net/page2/page7/page7.html

While the Voodoo Labs is good, I wouldn't quite call it the "creme de la creme". The Juicebox and the Burkey are much more flexible.

19. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've got two 1-Spots that worked great for a long time, until recently.

I started getting a 'swishing' noise thru my Demeter Comp-1, that would go away when I turned the Demeter off. I wasn't at home and didn't have any other adapters with me at the time, so I just had to take out the Comp-1 for that time being (hoping that the Compulator didn't go bad on me). When I got home, I tried the Dunlop adapter that came with the Comp-1, and it worked fine. Then I plugged in my other 1-Spot, and it also worked fine. Plugged in the 1-Spot that was believed to be causing the noise before, and the noise was back again. Sure enough, one of my 1-Spots had gone bad.

I used to praise these 1-Spots, but not any more.

20. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    anyone ever try the power supply that comes with the MKS pedal pad?