Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Music Man should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P-bass man, Sep 19, 2004.

1. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    Georgia
    After Talking to my dad's friend who won the Japanese national Oustanding Bass Player Award, i learned that I should get a Music Man Bass, I was wondering if I should get a Stingray, or a Sterling,or A a S.U.B X04 4 string PLEASE HELP ME!

PBM

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if you really are a pbass man get the stingray, its close to the same neck profile. a sterling is more of a j bass profile. A sub is if you cant afford a stingray. Ive played them and they are amazing basses but i dont think anyone if they had the money would choose one over a stingray.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    If he told you to jump off a bridge, would you :p ?

Have you played any of those basses? Try them before attempting to buy one.

4. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    Georgia
    meh, i cant afford the stinger, so im going with the SUB, asa i get money, and i think im gonna go with the X02... but i have a long time before i get enough money XD

PBM

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've seen some nice used Sterlings out there for around $800-900 at basscentral.com I say save up and get what you really want.That if you'd like a Sterling and not just a Stingray.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive seen Sterlings go on ebay for as low as $550

But i think a Stingray or an SUB would fit you best.

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Umm, yeah. I fully agree. Nobody can decide what bass is for you apart from you, so don't just get something because someone tells you to. A good bass for whoever may not be a good bass for you, and it ain't a fact that you should get a Musicman, even though they're nice instruments and if you like them there's no reason why you shouldn't get one. :p

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The MM may work great for your dad's friend, but it not be the best choice for you. MM's are great basses, but there are countless other basses that are great too. Many would cost you less than a MM. Whenever you get the chance, try out every bass you can get your hands on. Do tons of research, check the used market. That way you'll find the bass that best suits your needs, and you'll be able to afford it.

Just my 2 cents. Best wishes, Art

If I only followed my own advice before I wasted thousands buying amps that didn't perform like I wanted!

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    You guys are acting like this guy doesn't know anything about basses, I'm sure it's a good suggestion. If somebody came up to me and said, you know I'm looking for that smooth motown sound, I don't see how it wouldn't make sense to tell him to get a P-bass.
    It's not as though he just said, or you're bassist get a Musicman, I have a feeling he talked to this guy about what he wanted.

10. My advice is to try them to see which one feels better. All the mentioned MM basses have the same sound but you have to be comfortable playing it as well. I personally prefer a Sterling over a Stingray---They do make a SUB Sterling. :D

11. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    Georgia
    yha, thats what i want, the Sterling SUB, its real nice, and after looking it over, ita a good deal fo the price, so as soon as i save up enough, im probably gonna get that, and ye, the person who told me to get a music man plays one himself, and he won the oustanding bass player award in japan with it

PBM

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    +1

Go play them first. I was sold on a Stingray untill I played one. I love the way they sound though. Just don't like the neck profile. The Sterling on the other hand I do like because of the slimmer neck.

13. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The also have a S.U.B in a sterling shape now. I would recommend a real sterling or stingray but if you can only afford the S.U.B versions those are quite nice too.

14. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Are you sure? It doesn't sound like he did.

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Uh, no offense buddy, but just because some dude that won some foreign award plays a certain bass doesn't mean anything at all. The dude's probably just trying to get an endorsement deal with EB. MusicMans are nice, sure. But they're not the ONLY nice basses out there.

P.S. Actually, since you've convinced yourself you're gonna love it, you probably will love it.

P.P.S. By the way, this guy convinced you beyond a shadow of a doubt to get a a MM, but he neglected to inform you which model to purchase? Incredible.

;)

16. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    Georgia
    lol, its not liek that at all guys, when my dad told him that i was thinking about buying another bass, he said that Music Man basses are very good, he never said i HAD to get one, he just said that i should CONSIDER about getting one, and in a few weeks, he is coming to talk to me, and no, he doesnt have any deals with EB, its just he plays one and he really likes it.

PBM

17. Same here. I liked the Stingray but wasn't crazy about the neck although my dumb ass didn't realize a Sterling had that style neck until recently.
    I have played a SUB Sterling & it is VERY close to a regular one in feel & sound. Only thing that's different is the SUB doesn't have the selector switch for the p/u. It plays sweet though. :D
    Hey---if you play one & like it then get it. EBMMs are great basses & they have excellent customer service. :bassist:

18. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    I bought my stingray off of E-bay. 2 years old, imaculate shape and only $700. I couldn't be happier.

IMO the SUB is just that - a SUBstandard stingray. Save your pennies and get the real thing.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Man, just get whichever one you like best. It's really that simple.

20. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I won the 'outstanding bass player in my band award' and I play a Spector.

I think you should buy a Spector..... ;)