Which neck do YOU prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Precision

36 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Jazz

97 vote(s)
    55.4%
  3. Ibanez

18 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Others

24 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I see that most people prefer Pbass neck over jazz, but isnt the slimmer neck supposed to feel better? But the wierd thing is many people prefer ibanez necks which is the slimmest...

Ive not played before a jazz bass, but I prefer an ibanez neck over my pbass neck....so yeah

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like a jazz as my top. But, my P is also super comfy. And so is my spector. They are all different. But my jazz is the top.

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I like every neck except Warwicks and those pencil-thin Danelectros. Also, there was this one yamaha 5-string in which the neck was almost FLAT, it was so horrible.

I voted P since I like em large.

4. Warmoth Showcase always has more Jazz necks than Precision..

I like the Stingray neck!
    But the easiest to play on are the Laklands.

:)

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I voted precision, but I like the SR4 neck.

6. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    +1
    I really dont like Warwick-necks either ...

And for the poll , i voted J-neck .. The neck is probably the reason for i always end up with a J-bass ...

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Jazz.....geddy lee necks = :hyper:

8. I prefer the older P-Bass necks that are 1.75" wide at the nut but I have both P-Basses and J-Basses and I'm comfortable on both necks.

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i like both jazz and precision, but for now i voted jazz.

10. SoulStabber

SoulStabber

Mar 13, 2006
    Malaysia
    I prefer the SR4 neck..Slimmer among the rest. Pretty fast as well...

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1
    love 'em both! :ninja:

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I started off on a p-copy, so it feels more natural to me. I don't like super skinny necks. I'm not a huge chunky Warwick style man, but I'd rather play a Warwick than
    an Ibanez.

13. Different techniques from everyone will mean different comfort levels of playing on neck profiles.

Technically a thicker neck at the nut and thinner at the bridge is the most ergo friendly, but there's so many techniques in how people place their thumb and such there is only a best for you and not slimmer = better.

14. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I have a MIA deluxe jazz and a humble ibanez gsr200...the neck of the ibanez is sooo comfy that the scale feels smaller.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

For fours? Modern P-bass, MM Stingray (similar to modern P-bass), and vintage P-bass. J-bass necks are too slim for my comfort.

16. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I voted other...the Bongo 4 neck is my sweetspot.

17. Hard to say. For me, the finish on the neck is probably more important. I like a good J-neck, but I also like the more P-like neck on my Model T. I guess it all just depends on the bass...

18. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    Statistically speaking, in accordance with the poll here in your thread, the evidence would tend to indicate that...

YOU'RE WRONG!!!:p

BTW - I voted Jazz too, but I like the "Modern C Shape" better than the super skinny Geddy shape!

19. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    Tobias asymmetrical

It's shaped like your hand.

20. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I can't believe how comfortable the Sterling's neck is, so I vote that. It's the perfect shape for my hand.

Graeme

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021