Which new bass holds its value the best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Dec 31, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I'd like to know, after the initial "you made the mistake of driving off the lot" hit you always take, from there, which bass holds its value the best?
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    in my experience, it is a style thing. what's popular now was not popular 15 years ago. but i've also found that higher end basses (over 2k) retain their appeal but not their "value." I mean, the thing really has no resale value unless someone is willing to pay for it, right ? Having said that, I find that many folks want that high end bass but are not willing to part with the cash to buy it even though they can afford it.

I know that is kind of a rant; sorry. I'm in an obtuse mood today.
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I'd say the new bass still at the store that you didn't buy!:D

Seriously, you're going to take a loss on any new bass purchase if you turn around and resell it. Most high end basses depreciate initially and then stablize fairly well. Then again, people seem to pay high dollar for Sadowsky's and Fodera's new so that initial loss can be significant. If you can get a great deal on a Roscoe, F Bass, or Lakland, the used resale value usually isn't much less than the purchase price (and currently it seems be fairly stable).
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Squire P bass. You buy it for about $150- $199, and you could probably sell it for the same amount of money.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. I have only sold two basses and both were Wals - 1 five string fretted the other a five string fretless. Both of them I sold for more than I brought them for, and one of them I brought new direct from Mr Wal himself, Pete Stevens.

So I would say Wals are pretty good at keeping there value
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

What ever is in high demand at the moment.

Example Stingrays- they are being scooped up left and right, sop they will hold the resale.

Fenders do to a certain degree.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Stingrays do hold their value better than most, but you still take a hit if you sell.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree, you always will take a hit when selling something used.

Ive sold Stingrays for $750(payed $850 used), and $850 (payed $999).
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Don't buy a bass new....

Or like Woodchuck suggested, buy a Squier, then if you sell it and get half, you've still only lost $100.

I paid less than $200 for my Squier P Special 5 and while I'm a constant tinkerer, I haven't changed a thing other than the strings....well, I pulled the frets too. It's an amazingly great bass for low, low bux... I grab it before my MIA Fenders and it could quite possibly be the one that I'd select as my "desert island" bass.

Regardless...you should buy an instrument that you love to play and that inspires you and not really worry about resale value. If the thought of selling it for less than you paid is truly a concern...by all means buy used!!!
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rick doesn't seem to be asking which bass will have zero depreciation, he's asking after the initial hit when purchased new that most instruments take, what maintains the higher percentage of it's initial value at resale time.

Lots of people don't take resale value into consideration when making a purchase. Cool. Personally I don't think being concerned about resale value is a bad thing, in fact IMO it's a pretty smart way to shop for just about anything (except maybe a spouse, then again...).

I think the Squier example is a good one. Can't go much lower than the original purchase price. You'd have to be pretty talented to lose $400 on a Squier;). Right now boutique instruments aren't generally too sporty as far as resale value... losing 35% on a $3500 bass hurts most people. Just because you don't plan on selling gear doesn't mean you might never have to. Stuff happens. More than once I've bought basses that sold originally for around $4000 for around a grand... and I didn't lowball the seller (I never do). Ouch.

The stuff that holds it's value the best is the gear that is in high demand and low quantity. That's no guarantee though, you can still lose. I can't think of one boutique bass that is a hedge against depreciation. Value is only as good as the potential buyers who are willing to spend.

Fenders actually are pretty good as far as this goes, depending on which one you buy and how much you spend. The 97 MIA JD5's are selling for almost what they sold for in 97... not bad IMO. If the FMT is discontinued it'll probably keep it's value close to the original price paid by some people. I paid $1500 for mine and it's one of the good ones so who knows what it's worth, I know I wouldn't lose much if I sold it (I have no intention).

Generally speaking, low end basses hold their value better.
  12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    BTW I ordered my Spalted Brubaker 5 and Tobias 5 and bought my Tobias 4, FMT 5 and Zon fretless brand new. They're all holding up very well as far as resale value, in fact four of them are worth more than I paid for them new... lots more;)

Don't buy new? Never say never:D
  13. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida

Thanks for the interpretation. I am well acquainted with the initial hit. I bought a new SR5 for $1250 and sold it for $900. I bought a new Warwick Corvette for $950 and sold it for around $800. Yes, ouch. However, if I had bought the SR5 used for $900, I probably would have gotten close to that. The Cirrus I had was bought for $705 and sold for $775. It's was my error to upgrade it. I took a hit on the Elrick as well. No dickering. Should have. We live and learn. I agree on the "sometimes you've got to buy new" theory. What you want is not always out there.
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

rickreyn-What???? you think you lost a lot on those deals?? You did pretty good.

When someone buys used, its often sold "as is".

When you buy new, your paying for some service from the store(depending on who/where). If it be servicing, warranty, or advice.
  15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've found that warranties are available fairly often on used gear... it depends on the gear.
  16. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    From my experience, Rickenbackers tend to hold their value well.