Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which new Fender for vintage Jazz sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've decided that I want my next bass to be a Jazz bass. I've fallen in love with the sound on classic recordings, but the thing that really did it for me was when I went to a local club to hear a jazz group and I LOVED the bass players tone - it was exactly the tone I want. He was playing a '69 Fender Jazz Bass (with a P neck)
    I now need a jazz bass. I want to pay less than MIA prices. I'm wondering if I would be happy with a standard MIM, or if I should step up to a Highway 1 Jazz - or possibly even spring for a Ken Smith Design V60J4.
    I really want to get a vintage jazz bass sound - Jaco with frets is what I'm looking for. Which of these J's would give me the best vintage J sound?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't suppose anything sounds more like a Jazz than a Jazz. Having said that, I don't think any of the new Fenders sound particularly "Jaco-y". The old Jazzes had alder bodies and rosewood necks so that's a starting place. Unlike some others around TB, I happen to like the HWY 1 Jazzes. I think the necks on them are nice and they play well. The pickups (like all current Fender Jazz pups, IMO) are nothing to write home about so you may wind up changing them out. I have after-market pups in my Jazz and it sounds great. The MIM '60s Jazz basses also seem to be quite nice so that's another option.

There was a lot more to Jaco's tone then just his bass, of course, and his playing style had a lot to do with it. Maybe Jaco could get a new Jazz to sound "Jaco-y" but I can't. I'm not good enough to try either.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would recommend a Geddy Lee sig jazz and then put some vintage jazz pups in or somethin, just because the geddy is the only new fender that i like the feel of and feel that the construction is solid.

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Check the Geddy out. See if you like the neck profile though, it's thinner than normal, but comfy for most.

5. seymour duncan antiquity jazz pups in a hwy1 or mex.

6. Lakland Skyline Joe Osburn does better vintage fender vibe than most fenders.

check 'em out.

8. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I agree that a Lakland Osborne comes closer than most newer Fenders to what you seem to want without changing pu's.
    If you do want to go the MIM Jazz route, see if you can find a used one. The new Standards vary greatly in quality.

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Fender licks the dogcrap off of Lakland's shoes. I've seen it. :bag:

10. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    if you looking for a for a fender try alot of them out first.. ones with different woods and all that..the quality changes from one fender to another... so take time to check them out and get what you honestly like.

11. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The Fender 60's Classic is a great looking bass. The vintage yellowed neck and headstock,sunburst paint are all well done. Fit and finish seem to be a little better than the common MIM.That bass with your favorite after market pickup would be nice . Looks wise and sound. But at $630 for new 60's Classic Jazz + cost of pickups would put you in MIA price range. You'd need to find it used.