Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which new Fender P-bass......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillm47, Oct 21, 2003.

1. MIA series
    57RI
    62RI

If you where going to buy a new Fender P-bass, which one of these three would you go for - and why?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I just got a MIA P bass a few months ago. I found one that was the discontinued natural ash. I just had to have it!!! Its one of the nicer Fenders Ive played too which is lucky for my because I had to have that ash.... Ive never tried the RIs but I would suggest trying a bunch because Fenders can vary in quality.

3. I just bought a new MIA P a few months ago, Ash body with Sunset Orange Trans Finnish.
    I am very pleased with it.
    I havent tried the RI's, but i would imagine it would be quite the price jump???

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Depends on your budget, but if I had the cash, I'd grab a custom shop P. I had the opportunity to play one at a friend's house and I was just blown away at the feel and the sound.

5. Woah, me and Metron almost said the same thing haha...

6. MIA series standard...just my personal preference!

They are tried and true!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Nice bass B'Aces! Do you have a maple neck on yours? Thats a nice look with the trans orange! I saw a few jazz basses with that combination.

Am I correct in saying that the standard is not the same as the MIA series? I think there is an actual model below the MIA called simply the standard series and its MIM. I would not go this route. I had a standard jazz from 99 and it was very mediocre (sound and construction).

8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  9. Mine indeed has a maple fretboard! I love maple on a Fender!

10. Why do you like Maple over Rosewood for your board on a Fender?

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Actually with me its mostly a cosmetic thing. I just think it looks right to me (as silly as that sounds)
    I have 4 Fender P's 3 with Maple necks... :D

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I played a 62RI last week and it will be my next purchase. MIA series is a great bass and the 57RI's neck is just too big for my liking.

13. I have a 2001 MIA P-Bass and have yet to find another non-MIA fender that stacks up IMO. The frets, neck dimensions, tuners, string-thru body all seem nicer than the non-MIAs.

For instance, the headstock on my P-Bass is thicker from front to back when compared to my old HW1 and MIM Jazz basses.

14. I use both, maple on my fretless and Rosewood on my jazz basses, I was just curious if you liked the brighter sounding boards!

They do look awesome!

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. Aren't both 'RI necks the same size & profile? :confused:

16. I mean the 'American' series. I said 'standard' so as not to be confused with the 'American Deluxe' series.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am buying an Essex Fretless P with a mple fretboard. I have never played a fretless with a maple fretboard... is the sound alot brighter? Which wood is "harder", maple, or rosewood?

18. I noticed that maple is brighter than rosewood but really, when you add vocals and instruments into the mix, you can't tell the difference.

As for another Precision, I would go for the '62 Precision, just like James Jamerson...sans mojo.

Hey, how come those '51 Precisions with the single coil pickups are accounted for?

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Nope, the 57RI was maple and wider at the nut than the rosewood 62RI.

20. Pyrohr unless your talking about the Japanese versions of the reissues I believe your wrong about the nut width. I have a 99 american vintage series 62 reissue P and it is 1 & 3/4 at the nut as was the the 57 reissue I checked out. I really don't think fender has ever made a 4 string P that was wider than 1 & 3/4. I also recall the the neck profiles on both being almost identical other than perhaps the slight different feel of the maple board on the 57