Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which new PU's for my Warwick Thumb5??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Sep 21, 2002.

1. I own a lovely Thumb5 neck-through and fel that it is now time to replace that shoddy MEC junk. I have had such bad luck with their crap in the past...microphonic PU's, preamps cutting out in the middle of a live set (on TWO different Warwicks!) I am thinking that it is possible that the new 18v preamp in this Thumb may be ok but who knows...? I would definitely like to replace the Jazz PU's and am open to suggestion. Bubinga is a fairly dark and deep sounding wood so I am thinking that Barts wouldn't be the best choice. I do like a fairly aggressive tone....SD's? Dimarzios? Suggestions....?

[​IMG]

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that is some crazy bubinga, man...almost looks like a grain similar to what you would see in an ash bass. as far as a suggestion for new pups, how about looking for a set of lane poors...there are still some floating around out there...ya might get lucky

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Custom made pups by Larry Pollack.

www.aeroinstrument.com

4. Anything you two might tell me about the "character" of these Aeros'? Why I should consider them instead if sumtin' else...?
    Thanks...
    ( That is some whacky piece o' wood, don't you think? I lucked out I'd say..)

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yes, indeedy...hey, you could do something nuts to your thumb like you did to your dolphin...just route out a big ol' hole and throw an exposed pole duncan mm pickup...that would sound mean ;)

6. Well...I think I'll try to work within the context of the Thumb5 design. It's just so darn purdy y'know? Exposed poles are definitely an option...more "raw" or "aggressive" do you think? Is that how it works??

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    EMGs. Those work pretty well with Warwicks, I'm told.

8. Yeah, they used to be a popular install? Barts did not sound great in my Dolphin...indistinct but I think the preamp had allot to do with that.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I would go with EMG or SD. I think Aeros are a bit tamer than you're looking for (this is from what I've heard, no personal experience with any of the above :p (yet I post advice, *sigh*))

10. Well, that's kinda my gut feling as well? Why would think EMG's/SD's over like Barts? I want PU's that will sound good passive as well as active? I am unsure of how that works... My preamp has that option and I am really liking that passive sound lately. My guess is that the 18v system is trying to cop that "open" feel? Am I wrong...?

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yesh...i'm on my 4th thumb bass--two bolt neck 5's, a through neck 4 and now a through neck 6 ;) it's my opinion that the emg pickups sound a lot better than the duncans and the mec's. more aggressive sounding.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    supposedly the MEC's are designed to closely replicate the SD's, so if you want a change i'd go with EMG's.

but - if you like it in passive mode, maybe a new preamp would do the trick. (like the u-retro. come on, you know you want to do it.)

:p

13. I'm guessing that not all PU's will work in passive mode either...EMG's for example. Bart's will..do SD's? I would like to be able to bypass the preamp on occasion.
    So, a great passive Jazz-bass PU that I can run active at 18v as well. Any more suggestions....?

14. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    As far as I know there are active or pasive pups. You can't have both (well maybe you can but I don't know that anybody did this). As for pups that can handle 18V EMG will do it without trouble.
    If you want to do the mod yourself here's the link:
    mywebpages.comcast.net/mgollihur/emgmod.html

15. Yeah, I don't think that is correct? I know of many bass systems that operate in both active and/or passive mode; the G&L for example with it's passive PU's and active/passive preamp.
    Thanks for that EMG link tho'..I was looking for that?

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for example -

my ss2, and i believe my thumb, have active pickups and active preamps. when the bass is in passive mode it merely bypasses the preamp, but the pickups are still plugged in. which is why if the batteries go completely dead or are removed, your bass ceases to function.

with a passive pickup however, this would work.

so 8_finger is right even though i think he thought he was talking about something else. you can't have active/passive PICKUPS, but you can have active/passive PREAMPS.

they're wired up to the battery seperately, which is why you can go into passive mode and still hear your bass.

18v EMG's w/U-Retro. DO IT!

17. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I was talking about pickups, not preamps. As for the active/passive issues Warwick5S answered all the questions.
    I have Warwick Fortress One 5 that has active/passive preamp and active EMG pickups. I can switch the preamp to go passive but those are active pickups and when the battery dies no sound comes out of them.
    But if I were to put passive pickups instead of EMG, bass would work without the battery in passive mode.
    As for the link I was just being helpful.

18. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a lot of really good info here. I have a Thumb 4 BO and was thinking that new pups would even out the sound - MECs aren't quite *right*.

The EMG site was easy (especially after reading the article above!). What's the link to the U-Retro preamp site?

Thanks.