Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which NIN album should I buy?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Johnalex, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I don't own any Nine Inch Nail albums, but I believe I would like to buy one. I know nothing about NIN other then what I have heard on the radio. SO I have no clue what album is their best. Which one of there albums should I buy?
    Thank You

2. Best
    1. And All That Could Have Been live CD
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. The Fragile 2 Discs
    4. Pretty Hate Machine
    Worst (still great)

Of course the best choice would be the And All That Could Have Been live DVD, but that isnt a CD.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you buy just one NIN, buy Pretty Hate Machine. In fact, your question inspired me to listen to it again as it has been awhile and I discovered that the CD has mysteriously deteriorated and developed strange scratches all over it. What a bummer! I really loved that CD in years past.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    "and all that could have been" (live CD) has most of my fave songs...

the live version of "Hurt" is OMG SO COOL.

I also have the Fragile... very good!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love that version!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Fragile is definately their best work, IMO. It's the most complex album they have though, so you might want to start with the Downward Spiral. Their other albums are great, too, but I think those two show the most creativity and fluidity.

Also, the remix album Further Down the Spiral is absolutely awesome, but it's not solely a NIN album (two fantastic Aphex Twin originals on it).

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am going to go buy "all that I could of been" tomarrow, I can't wait.

8. My personal recomendations:

- Pretty Hate Machine
    Head Like A Hole & Sin

- The Downward Spiral
    Great Album, say no more.

- Broken
    Closer, Piggy & Wish

- Any live bootleg you can find!

The other albums are good also, but if you're new to NIN, you better start with the "classic" ones.

EBP

9. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL!!! brilliant album.

10. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    get The Downward Spiral.
    In my opinion it's the best piece of music of all time.

11. The Downward Spiral for sure. Took me a while to really get into that album and then one day it struck me how genius it is. Best "album" imo in the last decade.