1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which non ampeg cabs sound good with svt-cl?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by u84six, May 17, 2011.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    If you were to pick some lightweight 15" non-ampeg cabs for an SVT-CL, what would you choose?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    fearful 15/6 or something similar, as long as it does 4 ohms. that's the only 115 ca i would use with an svt, otherwise i'd use a 215 cab.

3. The old Berg 2-15" was pretty raved about when combined with a tube head...

I don't own either so no personal experience.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I wouldn't limit myself to 15"s to start. Then I'd look for sealed 4x10 cabs and go from there.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you're looking for 15's, the first and last stop should be a Berg NV215 if you can find one. I guess it's not really lightweight though.

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've kept a TL606 with a 4 ohm driver, a Berg HT322, and an old Pevey cabinet loaded with Altecs; these 3 always sounded good to me with a SVT-CL

7. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    So do you think the Avatar TB153 would be a good choice for a lightweight solution? I'm not sure about the fearful, seems like you need to order them special from various builders that make them in different ways.

Also, I know people say that SVT-CLs sound best with closed cabs, but is that only because it will match the sound of the Ameg cabs? I don't really care about matching the Ampeg sounding cabs, because frankly, that's the one thing I don't like about Ampeg.