1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Nordstrand pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aussietc, Mar 13, 2013.

1. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    I recently acquired a Lakland 55-01.
    I'm thinking about a pickup and preamp change.
    I've been recommended Nordstrand pickups. But which ones?
    • Big Singles
    • Big Splits
    • Fat Stacks
    :confused:

Then I'll need to decide on a pre. The only preamp I'm familiar with is the Glockenklang.

:help:

2. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    I just noticed that the Big Splits are no longer listed on the Nordstrand site.

3. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    After some searching and sifting through the forums I've found some threads on singles vs splits ... that helps a bit. Still haven't found sound clips.

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I wonder when maurilio will show up...

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If I had to go back to Nords, I'd do Big Splits for sure. I had them in my 5501 for a while, but preferred the 'burp' and punch I got from Bartolini MK5's. Nords are like big huge Jazz pickups, and were just too bright and aggressive for me.

I pair my Barts with an Audere Z-Mode Preamp which is extraordinary.

6. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have big singles as replacements for original soapbars in a Sadowsky Metro 5. I am deeply impressed - punchy, organic, and surprisingly hum-free (probably a function of superior grounding and shielding, per Sadowsky and my very talented local tech). Sadowsky himself has said that he liked the Big Single the best of the three you mention, and he continues to offer the Big Single as an option. Great pickups! But I am a Nordstrand fan, based also on use of their P/J and single J pickups in other contexts over the years.

7. chaosmic

chaosmic

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    The Fat Stacks are fantastic...especially with a switch for single coil operation. I'd go for a Nordstrand preamp, either 2 or 3 band depending on your needs.

8. Why the pickup swap? Please dont buy into the opinions of TB that say to gut your bass. The preamp is the only thing lacking in the 55-01.. The pickups are fine and I dont think you will discover a perceivable difference thats worth the $$.

Im running a Delano in mine but will be installing an Audere Classic next month fwiw

9. CSEbass

CSEbass

Feb 11, 2013
    Tampa
    Depends on what you want.

I tend to recommend single coils, i.e the Big Singles as they are the hottest in terms of output, most lush in the midrange, and still have a favorable low end. Best Growl, Best Punch, Big Single.

Big Single is also not as noisy in terms of hum as folks may make it appear to be.

Fat Stack would be my second, especially if installing a switch for single coil mode. 2nd Best Growl and Best punch.

Big Split would be my 3rd choice. Splitting a coil, particularly this one feels like it loses some of the midrange complexity that both the single, and stack have. Just my .02, but I would say Fat Stack for someone interested in true humcancelling, and Single to those that don't care.Pope Preamp is what I would recommend. Transparent, tonally aggressive, lo/mid high mid control is worth the money spent.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Dude, as nice as the Glockenklang preamps are, I really don't think you want one for your Lakland - particularly not if you're contemplating something as aggressive as Nordstrand Big Singles as your new pickups.

The Glockenklang is really too subtle and too refined for the kind of application you have in mind. it's much better suited to one of those $8,000 boutique custom basses with the "coffee table" carved top.

In my experience, an Aguilar OBP-3 is what you want. It'll turn that Lakland into a total tone monster! :eek:

I'll defer to CSEbass' recommendation of the Pope preamp, as I don't have experience with that one. But "tonally aggressive" are the magic words as far as your needs are concerned. :meh:

MM

11. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    nothing better than a big single...

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    BIG SINGLES