Which octave pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chris h, Mar 6, 2003.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Im looking mainly at the mxr m88, cos it will fit on my pedalboard best (!) and sounds like its pretty decent, but im also tempted with the cheap-ness of the oc-2, but im unsure how useful the 2nd octave feature would be on this pedal. Any thoughts? Thanks.

P.s where can i get the new digitech bass synth pedal from in the uk?
  2. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
  3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks your highness, but im in the uk. its about £100 here. Im also looking for somewhere that stocks the digitech bass synth.
  4. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have the OC-2 and the EBS Octabass.
    I have used the MXR and thought that it was pretty good.

THe OC-2 has some really unique characteristics. It is not the best at tracking. It can kind of "warble" a bit and you have to be mindful of how you play because it can get muddy. You can get some pretty cool tones with it.

The EBS is very clean sounding and tracks much better, but is not as unique sounding as the OC-2.
    It also eats batteries much faster than the OC-2.

Hope this helps.
  5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Yeah, thanks. im thinking of going with the oc-2 because its cheapest, and sounds like it compares quite favourably to the more expensive models. Mad Subwoofer said the digitech bass synth wah had the 'best octaver ever' but i cant find one in the uk?
  6. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Now technically if you want the cheapest... check out the danelectro "chillidog" It's not bad for the money... and I seem to remember on for sale in the 'boards here.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Even though it doesn't track that well, the unique sound makes the OC-2 a must-have.
  9. The rich, fat sound of my Digitech Bass Synth beat out the OC-2 by far. The tracking is also superior to the EBS so it won hands down for me. The synth tones are pass-able but I compared the sub-octave setting with my EBS and my Boss all at once; no comparison.

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    MSW, would you considder the BSW a clean clear octaver sound or a more fat dub like one? I'm just wondering.
  11. Hmmm...I wouldn't say that this box is the best for dub at all. My DOD FX25 sorta trumped all my octave-style boxes. It's (the BSW) octave is thick, like the OC-2 and defintely not the thin, sterile tone that my EBS had. I was a bit taken aback by how weak the Octabass sounded against all the others, surprising.
  12. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Hmm... no offence to what you're doing, because it's cool, but I am kinda looking for a... well not sterile, but clear, kinda thin tone in an octaver. I don't really want a thick sound, so perhaps my EBS is for me. I really like the way it works, and the sound, but low tracking isn't great.
  13. Yeah......don't know what to tell you. You just need to try them side by side if possible; big difference. You can blend the octave and clean tone for clarity? The EBS just really lacked character...big time. Bland and thin. I don't think the tracking is THAT bad on the EBS, just that the BSW is SO much better.
  14. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeh, thanks. I dunno... I kinda like how the EBS tone has just about the same fidelity as you put into it... works for me. If I get a chance to A/B them I will... but the EBS is good enough for now. I suppose I really don't need tracking below A :D
  15. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Little Tip - If you use a compressor in front of the OC2 it tracks MUCH better.
    Right down to low E (which some octavers don't).
    For the money - £55 or so, you won't do better.
    Now, if Ashdown would only fit their sub-harmoniser into a pedal......... oh well.....
  16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Chris, I have an original Octabass (which seem to be considered the best octave pedal out there and I certainly couldn't complain about it) in mint condition that has been retired from my pedalboard because I've realised that I'm much more focused on going higher than lower (i.e. whammys and distortions rather than dubby filters and octaving). Would that be within your budget?

17. Chris H...if you're looking for another option,check out the Electro-harmonix octave multiplexer...it tracks real well,and what makes it different than the others is the high and low filter controls for the effect...not a 1 oct. down and 2 oct. down set-up,but more like a "bass" and "treble" for the effect..it only goes 1 oct. down but, you can control the highs and lows of that octave. theres a blend control as well. sounds different than all the others and very versatile. tracks way better than any other I've tried..the only problem is the bypass, it SUCKS.....your tone,that is...when your not using the effect..if your using a true bypass switching system of some kind this is not a problem..but the E-H is a great sounding pedal...not to mention it cost as much as the boss(here in the U.S.)approx. $85.-$90.
  18. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks a lot for the replies, and the generous offer of the ebs. I infact got the oc-2 the other day and im loving it. Really nice sound, not over the top and really useable. the compression tip was handy.

Thanks, Chris.
  19. wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    For those of you who have the Deep Impact, you can get a nice octave setting on it. I saw this on the Harmony Central reviews. Just go to the preset 6, and turn all of the parameters down to 1 or so. It sounds nice and thick like the OC-2, but tracks wayyyy better.
  20. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    The old Digitech Bass Whammy...octave up or down is fantastic...best I've heard in a pedal.