1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which of my surplus pickups to use? If any?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GCPENG, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stock pickup (2016)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Stock 2016 MIM pickup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  4. Stock Squier Affinity pickup

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Canada
    I have a 2016 Squier VM fretless P with the original pickup in it. I have no particular concerns or complaints with it, but I was thinking that I might be wasting a pickup that I am not using.

I have the stock pickup from a 2016 MIM P bass that is sitting in a box. Maybe I should put that in the fretless?

I have a Quarter Pound in an Squier Affinity P that I don't often use. Maybe I should put that in the fretless?

I also have the stock pickup from the Affinity P. Unlikely that I want to put that in the fretless, I suppose?

I don't want to uninstall/install/uninstall/reinstall/uninstall/install a bunch of pickups just to try them out. I've get better things to do. But if I happen to own a pickup that is clearly better than the stock one, I'd have no problem changing it out.

Has anybody had any experience comparing the stock pickup in the Squier VM fretless to any of my options?

Thanks

2. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    If it ain't broke , don't fix it is my thought.

I have found that pup swaps sometimes aren't all they're cracked up to be.

40Hz likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree with @ZenG. If you're already happy with what you're hearing, leave it as is. The Squier VM series fretless already ships with a very nice pickup that goes well with that bass. So unless you have a definite reason to swap it out, save yourself some time and trouble and just rock it as it came. I'd also leave the QP in your Affinity since that should definitely be an improvement in the sound of that bass.

There's always the TB classifieds if you ever find yourself in possession of extra sets of pickups you don't want to see gathering dust.

4. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Really dug the QPs for my Jazz back in the day. The treble response from the QP might bring out that fretless "mwah".

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I would throw the QP in the Squier VM and the VM in the Affinity. The QP is the most different sounding of the bunch and it may be worth trying in the fretless. Also if you like it, you'll still have a better pickup than stock (IMO) in the Affinity.

6. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Canada
    And here is the outcome. The last two band rehearsals, I brought the fretless to play a couple of songs on (but mostly for Bron Y Aur Stomp). At last rehearsal, drummer raved about the warmth of the bass. Thought it really went well with those songs. So the stock pickup stays.