1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which of These 3 Amps Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kurtsnyder, Jan 13, 2008.

1. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Hey guys. I have been playing DB for a couple of years now and am ready to get into EB. My friend has loaned me his old Ibanez SDGR1000, but I need an amp. Some people have told me to go buy a small cheap practice amp, but I figure I should drop a couple more bucks and pick up a decent used amp that's a little bigger. This is where I need help.

I found 3 that interest me. the first is a Crate BX-160 in good condition and the guy wants $160. My second choice is a Yorkville 200WT Combo that I talked the guy down to $175. Finally I found a Fender BXR 300c that I talked the guy into taking $180.

All 3 seem to be in really good condition. I haven't played any of them yet, but just wanted to get a general idea of what combo would be the best deal and generally what sounds best. Thanks!

2. I would go for the Yorkie - those are great little amps.

I have never been a fan of Crate amps, or the Fender BXRs.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have no experience with any of those combo's but would recommend playing all 3 and see what you like. Your DB background should easily allow you to hear what you think is the best sounding amp. (of course, amp tone is highly subjective) I also think that you will see members coming back and telling you to get the Yorkville. I see them mentioned regularly when combo's are the subject.

4. +1 the Yorkie is some tough stuff. Never had much luck with Crate and I have no experience with the Fender.

5. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    Let me just say: those BXR amps are survivors. We've got two in my high school jazz band room (a 200 and a 300), and they've gone through rain, snow, drops, broken jacks, idiots tripping on cords, and all sorts of stuff like that and they work good as new. The 300 doesn't like it if you plug and unplug cords when it's on, but it does sound pretty nice. Plus, it gets loud!

6. I guess I should expand - I owned a Yorkville 200 watt combo at one point in time, great amp, I had to go up to the Eden and Bag End setup to get something better. I'm still impressed with the Yorkville and Traynor stuff.

I played a small gig with a 60 watt (if I remember correctly) Fender BXR combo I borrowed. Sounded middy unless I put the "scoop" button on, then it sounded too "scooped". I really didn't like it at all, although there's a LOT worse I could have been playing out of. The guy who owned it has put it through a lot and it's still going strong, so I think they're pretty tough. It was a pretty loud 60 watts, if that's what it was.

And Crate.. well, the only piece of Crate gear I have real experience with is a 15 watt guitar combo. I believe it was rated 15 watts at 10% total harmonic distortion. 10%!!! Unbelievable. It was a horrible sounding piece of junk. I have heard various Crate guitar and bass combos, and they were all pretty bad.

Edit: One thing to remember with electric bass is - if it sounds good by itself that doesn't mean at all that it will sound good in the mix, in a band situation. For example the BXR may sound just fine with the scoop button on, until you get it on stage, and wonder why you can't hear yourself whatsoever.

7. svp

svp Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    Yorkville is the best kept secret in bass rigs:bassist:

8. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Thanks for the feedback. I was really interested in the Yorkville most because the guy bought it new and told me he took good care of it. It looks very clean from the pics too. I'm curious to see what it's going to sound like! Thanks again!

9. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    whats the speaker configuration in each?? ,,, just a personal opinion, but I dont care for 15's for low volume practice use ... just something to consider JMHO

10. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    The BX160 has a 1x15 with a 2.5" voice coil. The Yorkville BM200 is also a 1x15 with a 30watt tweeter and the Fender is also a 1x15.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Either the Yorkville or the Fender would be a good choice. It would be nice to have the extra 100 watts, but it's not necessary. And Yorkies do sound very good...they're one of the better budget brands out there. Their stuff can hang with gear costing twice as much.

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    YORKVILLE!!!

WITH-

OUT

A

DOUBT!!!

P.S. it should have a speaker output so you can add a 8 ohm cab and maximize your volume...

13. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Well based on everyone's advice, I went with the Yorkville. I'm already in love with the thing! It sounds great really quite for practicing. I've also turned it to about 5 or 6 and the whole house is shaking! I hate to think what level 10 would do! It looks like I'm going to use this thing for a long time. :bassist:

14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1 :hyper:

15. Yorkie...never had a problem with mine

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021