Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which of these 3 basses would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rotren, Dec 28, 2005.

1. rotren

rotren

Dec 18, 2005
    Camrose, AB Canada
    I'm a guitar player who is getting into bass playing. I've been playing a borrowed Squier Bronco for a while, but the time has come to buy my own bass. I don't want to spend all that much though - playing bass is just a "side thing".

I'm interested in a jazz bass, or something similar. I mostly just want a decent and somewhat versatile instrument.
    I've tried a Squier Jazz bass, an Epiphone (not sure the model, but it was very cheap), and a Yamaha RBX-170. I really liked the feel of the Yamaha. The Squier seemed very nice too. Which would you recommend of these? If you know any other intro level basses worth looking at, please let me know. Thank you.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    If you like the yamaha go with that. Our opinions of a bass should not affect your final decission. After all, you're the one that'll be playing it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Get the yamaha

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sounds like you want the Yamaha. Go for it.

5. rotren

rotren

Dec 18, 2005
    Camrose, AB Canada
    Well, I like the Squier too, but maybe the Yamaha is more versatile. I'll be mostly using it for home recording. Hard to choose!

6. Whatever feels and plays best to you.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you like the jazz style, people around here seem to like the Rondo SX Jazz Basses, they are very cheap and supposed to be good quality. I haven't played one but I've seen a lot of posts on them. They even have their own thread if you do a search. Sorry I don't have the web link.

8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    If you are going to get an SX get the P-bass instead of the jazz. Out of the box the jazz is too bright and the pick-ups lack oomph. The P-Bass on the other hand is better out of the box so you won't have to spend money modifying it, it's good the way it is. Here's a pic.....

[​IMG]

9. I myself loved my jazz out of the box,because I like bright sounds.I would go with the Yamaha in this fellow's case.

10. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I get the feeling you should choose the Yamaha or if you're not in a real big hurry, try a few more.

George