Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which of these amps 2 get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by conk97, May 21, 2005.

1. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    OK i have the option of getting either a Behringer Ultrabass Amp BX1200 (120watts) or Behringer Ultrabass Amp BX600 (60watts)
    I asked the guy at the shop and he said the 60watt amp is better and louder than the 120 watt.

So IHO which amp should i get for small gigs etc?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok well my question would be exactly WHY is the 60 watt amp louder and better? does the salesman make a higher profit margin on it? :rolleyes:

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What equipment do you already have? What do you play?

4. dont waste your money. dont get either of those.

5. if you want a cheap, yet good amp, get a peavey

there are also those who'd suggest ashdowns, but i personally am not a big fan of them

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Neither will work for small gigs unless they are really low-volume.

Read up on the FAQs here and then go spend your money wisely. Don't be led by salesman who make money on your purchase.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You said it brotha.

I know there's people for and against Behringer... but aside from those ideas, neither amp is worth anything more than a practice amp. If that's what your looking for, then fine. But if you wanna play small shows, then save for a cheap head and cab, like a peavey.

8. Bet he makes more money off the 60 watt amp :meh:

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    You fellows are looking at this all wrong. Get the 60 watt version. It is most likely cheaper. That way when it breaks in the next couple months he is out less money. :D

Behringer has a bad rep for reliability, I would personally look at other options. Look used.

10. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    Michigan
    find yourself a nice used peavey, they are bulletproof and great for those who don't have a whole lot to spend.

Always keep in mind when buying Behringer that they have no US support, if your amp breaks it will cost you twice its value to ship it to Germany to be repaired, take almost 3 months to be returned to you, and its pretty much not worth it since they have a high defect rate. Your only option would be to have a local tech work on it, and I think we all know there is a shortage of good local techs these days.

11. He's in the UK i think

Check out ebay, ive seen an old Peavey firebass with a 4ohm 4x10 peavey cab go for £400, thats more than enough power and reliable as hell

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Just last weekend we were auditioning drummers at a rental rehearse room and they had this Ultrabass 1200. I definitely couldn't take a single deep nor loud sound out of it (other than farting). Definitely a single 12" is not enough (unless it's in some high efficiency enclosure such as the Schroeder Mini12s). Consider seriously getting something with a 15" if you're playing with a rock drummer. You sure can get a good used Peavey combo for the same (or less) price you'd pay for a new Behringer. I'm sure my TKO75 (75watts) kicks the 1200's a$$ both in tone, deepness and loudness.

ANDRUCA

13. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

I agree. I use a Crate 50 watt 12 which is plenty loud for my large finished basement. Some of the old models go for pretty cheap see if u can't find one. Uhh yeah 120 watts would be louder than 60.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I vote "none of the above".

If you're on a budget and want a good sounding, reliable-as-a-tank combo, get a Peavey. Peavey combo's are reasonably priced, sound good, and will last forever.

15. The reason i suggested a peavey half stack over a combo is just for the ability to upgrade part of it, as i did recently :)