Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which of these basses to buy???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deftone, May 16, 2001.

1. Ernie Ball Stingray

47 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. American Deluxe Jazz Bass

28 vote(s)
    31.5%
  3. American Deluxe P-Bass

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Deftone

Deftone

May 8, 2001
    I am looking to buy a new bass soon, and i have a couple of options i am looking at. Which of these do you guys prefer, I play in a metal band mind you. A Ernie Ball Stingray, a Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass, or an American Deluxe P-Bass? Any input is appreciated. Thanks a lot :) deftone

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They're all decent basses. I think the P-bass will give you more lows and highs, less mids, which seems more characteristic for metal. But, it's also a matter of personal preference. I don't think any of these are necessarily bad choices...

3. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    RAM,

If you're talking about metal, the guitars already have the highs and lows covered. There's usually plenty of room in the mids for the bass to cut through the mix. All the basses mentioned have active EQ, which will allow some flexibility, but I'd lean towards a Stingray given a choice between the three...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have all three of these basses, but the two Fenders are '93 and '94 models, both with Lace sensors and quite different animals from the current models. I've played the new American P Deluxe, and I was quite surprised by the range of tones available on this instrument. While the Stingray is a great bass, it cannot provide this amount of tonal variation. If they'd've had a 5-string version at the store, I would have gone home with it. You may also want to check out a Fender Roscoe Beck 5. Very nice too.

5. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    the pbass deluxe is the most versatile of all the instruments you have listed. you can get PLENTY of mids out of the 3 band eq. the humbucker in the bridge gives great punch (ala musicman and the jazz) but the p pickup gives you WAY more lows than either of those can.

beleive me i know.

i have owned close to 70 basses.i have owned all three you are looking at and the pbass deluxe has been the one I will keep because it is so diverse.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're all good choices and they're all in about the same price range. The 'ray probably has the right look and sound for metal, though.

7. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    only thing you should be concerned with is the sound and how it feels. also theres not a whole lot of difference between the look of all three of those instruments. the body style is extremely similar (cause they are all Leo Fender creations) only real aesthetic difference is pickups, pickguard and headstock.

plus your obviously into the deftones and whats that guy play? (pbass deluxe in case you didn't know.)

however just cause he plays it doesn't mean you have to. all i am saying is play all three through your own rig and decide. plus if you get it from a decent store they should let you take it to a rehearsal or gig and let you try it out. playing it in a store is one thing but the real test is in the real world.

8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

These are all excellent basses and I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. I've owned both a Stingray and a P-deluxe. Both were very well made. They did have different feel and character so between those it would be what you like. I've never owned a Jazz but I'm currently getting into my L-2000 with pickups in parallel (which I think is a jazz-like tone) and it's yet another great sound.

You will find that the physical feel and fit for you is different between these. I think the Stingray and P-deluxe have the same neck width at the nut (1 5/8) while the Jazz is narrower (1 1/2). The Stingray and P-deluxe have different neck profiles/depth. If you can try each for at least 30 minutes continuously in the store to see if one neck fits you better than the others or if one is "right out" after a period of time.

I personally moved from the Stingray to the P-deluxe to get a broader range of sounds (but the P-deluxe couldn't sound like the Stingray). I then progressed to a G&L L-2000 (another bass right in the price/quality/sound range you are looking at) for a slightly different range of sounds. I'm thinking about saving up for another P-deluxe because the neck fit me better than either of the G&L neck profiles. If Fender comes out with a Roscoe Beck four (as is rumored for this summer NAMM) I might be helpless if they use the 1.625" neck.

9. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    Get a Stingray..... they are great guitars.

10. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    For metal, I guess the precicion would be best. Th mighty Chi Cheng gets a pretty heavy sound out of them!

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm gonna say the P Deluxe. The Stingray has a more "in your face" sound with less overall width to it IMO. So if you used a Stingray with guitars covering all your lows/highs it'd pretty much make it so you wouldn't cut. Just my humble opinion though.

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I play a Fender P and my band plays metal/hard rock songs. I love my Fender but wish I'd tried out the Jazz too, as I am comfortable with the wider neck on the P now, but it took a while to get to that point - I think I would have appreciated the Jazz's thinner neck when I was first starting out.
    By the way, the local guitar hero working at the music store near my house was surprised when I told him what I play for what type of music I play. His response when he asked what type of music I play (knowing that I use a Fender): "Really? Hmmph."

13. I just traded a Musicman Sterling for an Am. Deluxe P-bass.

Here's why: I owned an Amer. Std. Jazz, a P-bass, and a Sterling, but needed $$ to buy a Brubaker (OK, I didn't, strictly speaking, NEED the Brubaker, but whatever). So I had to sell off the P. Then I decided I needed a bass that could _kind-of_ get the sounds of the P and the Sterling, since I couldn't afford to keep both. Thus, the versatility of the P-deluxe made a lot of sense for me.

However, the bridge pickup of the P-deluxe does not sound like the Sterling/Musicman pickups. It's closer to the bridge and less "hot." To my ears, it's actually a lot closer to a J-bass sound than it is to a Sterling sound. Either way, the P-deluxe is very, very flexible. . .

14. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    None of the above.

15. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have had a p-bass and liked it alot. but the stingray has alot to give for tone, I have two one with a rosewood fretboard and one with a maple, and they sound great, dont forget you have a low, mid, and high control to give you the sound you want, I would try all of them side by side and go with the one thats right for you, feel and sound.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So deftone, have you tried them yet? I voted for the DLX J. They're all great basses, perfect for your musicial situation. Let us know.

Not to add more wood to the fire, try a G&L L-2000. IMO, the best Fender company.

17. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Canada
    If G&L is a Fender company, why isnt it featured on the site like Guild, Squier and De Armond?

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    ummm... ummm...

Leo Fender was a guy, not a company.
    He started Fender, G&L, and Music Man...

I think that explains itself, doesn't it?

19. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Get the Stingray, it's got all you need for metal. Its built like a tank, cuts like a knife and also..we at Bass Central sell 'em! ;) we also sell G&L's, if thats your bag. ...sorry for the plug, but we got lots of em in stock.

Hope you find something that suits you,
    Neal

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    For metal, my vote would be the P