Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which of these cabs would you get if you had a WT-400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aram, May 23, 2003.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I need a super-portable cab for my Eden head...so:

Eden CX 110
    or
    Acme Low B-1

and why?

Has anyone A/B'd them? Which would handle the low B better? And what are the pros and cons of each?

I think I am leaning towards Acme, but I would love to hear some thoughts on either or both setups.

Thanks!!
    -Aram

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't heard either, but I have an Epifani T-110UL, and at 23 lbs, it is pretty darn portable, and sounds great. Two would be even better with your WT-400.:D

If you are only going to push one cab with your WT-400, and you are only going to consider the EA or the ACME, then I'd say go with the EA for efficiency reasons. I am not sure what the WT-400 pushes into an 8 ohm load, but my guess is that the ACME would want a bit more juice than you are offering. That's another reason to consider two cabs (full power out of your head at 4 ohm).

Tom.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Tom:

Thanks for the quick response!

I was actually considering the Eden 110 (not any EA stuff):

http://www.eden-electronics.com/cxm110.html

which would run at 8ohm, and I would (probably) eventually get 2 of them.

If I got the Acme I'd get a 4ohm to give it some juice...and then run an extension out to a small combo if I needed a little extra boost.

Epi's a good call, but mucho $$...I'm trying to keep the cost of this rig down, since my big rig cost so much :(

-Aram

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sorry about that, I saw "CX" and my mind went EA!

If you are looking for a good deal on a 1x10, this one is a little heavier, but there is a great deal on Ashdown Mini 10T's on ebay right now with a BIN of only $195! For that price, you can get two!

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2532724631&category=4713&rd=1

Are you playing a 4 or a 5 (or more) string? I did get a chance to hear the Eden Time Traveler 10 Combo, which I believe uses a similar speaker, and it didn't handle the B all that well. The CX 112 supposedly handles the B better, but now you are getting into a larger cab.

I'd say for the money, two of the Mini 10T's would be great, and for that price, you should be able to trade them in for something close to what you pay if they don't pan out.

Tom.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Cool -- I hadn't even considered Ashdown...I will look into that -- thanks Tom!

Anyone else? Now it's between:

Eden CX 110
    Acme Low B-1
    Ashdown Mini 10

Thanks,
    -AC

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

when i did have a plethora of gear, i loved hooking my Eden WT400 up to my Acme 2x10. the tone was pretty darn cool. the warm and fuzz of the Eden complimented the more urbane and smoother Acme. i can only imagine what a single 1x10 would do.

funny the CXM110 is mentioned, cause that was my VERY first cab that i ever bought, along with the WT400. had a good sound, but that combined Eden sound was overly brash for me. and, my friends remarked to me how there was little low end and punch. said, it was too sizzly out in the audience.

at any rate, my vote's for the Acme! but i say get a pair!

i'm waiting for Nick to build me two ultralite Epifani 1x10's. i tried a pair recently, and the hugeness of the sound just blew me away. and, they both weigh about as much as a full suitcase. so nice...

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have a WT400 and an Acme B-2, and I like the combined sound. I think the B-1 would give you a better, or at least truer, low B than the Eden cab would. Just don't expect to get very loud. And do get the 4 ohm version, unless you think you might want to add another cab later. The WT400 isn't rated to drive a load lower than 4 ohms, as you probably know already.

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Jokerjkny and Richard:

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a 4ohm B-1 is the way to go.

Do you guys gig around NYC at all? Do you think that combination would hold its own at any city venues? or would I always be wanting more low-end?

I have a 100w 1x10 combo that I could use in tandem with that rig, but I'm hoping I can get by with just the Eden and Acme....

-Aram

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Unless you're doing a quiet restaurant gig, IME, a single 110 doesn't cut it alone even in small dives like C-Note. Fortunately, pretty much every venue in NYC at least has a PA for reinforcement, so you can use the 110 as your stage monitor. A lot of places have cabs, too, so you can just bring a head head to the gig.

If the place has no backline or PA whatsoever, I'd recommend using something larger than a 110.

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Christopher:

That's what I was afraid of. The problem is, no one makes a 4ohm 12" (that I know of). Should I invest in 2 B-1's then? What to city players use for a small rig? I guess I should start a new thread for that one...

-Aram

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Keep in mind that how much air you push and the efficiency of the cab is much more important than the cabs ohmrating.
    Many people on this forum like Avatar speakers. Looks great and are really cheap too. They make a 1x12".

I know their 210 costs only $229 + ($35 shipping) but I have never tried them.

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Jock,

Thanks -- I actually do have an Avatar 112 (the older compact one) though...it sounds fine at low volumes, but doesn't cut the mustard with high volumes on the low B string. That's why i'm searching for something with a tighter low end (and even a little more compact, if possible). I thought Acme was a good compromise, but not if it's going to be little more than a practice amp...

-Aram

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Keep in mind, for $400 you can get TWO Ashdown Mini 10T's! I ordered one, but it hasn't come in yet, so I can't comment (yet).

Has anyone heard these?

Tom.

14. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    OK.
    I`ve heard people pushing their 210 Acmes with 1000W or more and not being loud enough. Producing those lows takes a lot of power.

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Both excellent points...I have to find an Ashdown dealer around here...GC doesn't carry them, does it?

Tom -- do you play a 5 or 6er? Let me know how the Ashdown does with the B string...

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've actually used a WT-400 running into the board with the Eden CXM110 as a monitor. With this setup, I'm not completely happy with the sound on stage, as the little 110 doesn't stay deep if it's pushed. Still, at least I can hear myself, and it's certainly a luggable setup. I also have one of those bitty GK MB150s for the upright and it serves a similar purpose: loud enough to serve as an onstage monitor and can be run through the board with good results, but still sounds like ass at gig volume.

To be honest, I've also been unhappy with the sound out of a lot of the 410s that the venues let players use - they're certainly louder than a 110, but they still fart out on the low Bs, Cs and Ds.

Bottom line: there's definitely a tradeoff between portability and tone. If you simply want to hear what you're playing, either 110 should be okay. If you want big booty, you'll have to start looking at a bigger speaker. And one of these:

http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/superlighthandtruck.html

17. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, a single 1x10 aint gonna cut the mustard. like you mentioned, its not gonna be more than a pratice amp for electric.

tho, Andrew Jones loved the sound of his upright thru a Clarus/B-1 combo. but IMHO, for electric stuff that's louder than jazz, a 1x10 just doesnt move the low end like it should.

a pair of B-1's would be great and ideal for small gigs, but it is expensive. also for that dough, you might as well get a 2x10 or better yet a 1x12 cab.

but, have you tried an Aguilar GS112? compared to the regular Epifani's, and even the very small Bergantino, the Aggie is the lightest and easiest 1x12 i've carried around. sounds ok at low volume, but open it up, and it barks with authority. its only 8ohms, but honestly, its pretty loud. and it costs about $30 more than the B-1, at around $399 or less.

when i had my GS112, my Eden WT400 was plenty loud for singer/songwriter stuff, and lots of jazz gigs. the only downside was that at lower volumes, the tones were rather dark. my buddy loved it, tho, and it might be good for you, tho.

i know Manny's has an Aguilar 1x12 you can try your Eden thru. then if your wallet's really adventurous, try the tad heavier, yet very cool Bergantino 1x12 across the street at Rudy's. tell Scott, Jae, sent ya... ;)

like i said, i've found my perfect lightweight rig in a pair of 1x10's. i'm coupling that with a nice Acoustic Image Clarus, and running either an SIB Fat Drive or my Demeter Tube DI to add some tubey lovin' to my tone. it's more for my selfish stage needs, and my bandmates liked the sound i got from a rented pair of Ampeg Portabass 1x10's. like Chris said, i too mostly go thru the PA.

if you've got the moolah, i say go for a pair of whatever: EA, Acme, etc. the EA's @ only 29 lbs. seems to be the lightest, of the non "ultralite" crowd, and prolly the loudest, too.

also, dont forget to get a nice Wesco fold up cart. you see them all over Sam Ash, B&H, and whatnot. the best thing for giggers since sliced bread!

19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ampeg Porta bass cabinets are all 4 ohm. They are super light weight, and sound good too.

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I'll have to give the aggie a spin -- Manny's has that new bass room upstairs -- have you seen that?? virtually uninhabited :D

I honestly didn't like the Bergie 112 with a WT-400...I don't think it's enough juice for it.

Do you still use the WT-400 with your 2 110's?