Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which of these home audio subwoofers to get?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Nov 10, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, I got a bunch of Best Buy gift cards from a generous friend who was very greatful that I watered his plants and checked his mail for two months.

Now I'm going to buy a subwoofer to complete my surround sound setup and I want opinions of anyone who may have experience with these or similar models. I'm limited by price so here's the options:

Celestion 8" 200w Soundstyle 8

Sony 12" 150 watt SAWM500

Wharfedale Zaldek Series 10" 100watt (the Wharfedale isn't shielded and is pretty ugly but I've heard good things about the company so I threw it in here)

I figure that my choice will come out of these 3 but feel free to look at all of Best Buy's 200 dollar or less subwoofers and if you see one that you feel should be a contender let me know. Thanks!

brad cook

edit: Really I'm favoring the Sony at the moment...12" mmmmm.... Still waffling though.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Cerwin vega make the bomb diggity sub woofers...don't know if best buy carries them though.

yeah, with some quick research, they don't :(
    oh well, I have celestion speakers, they are VERY shnazzy, I'm sure the subwoofer is also pretty good.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks WR but that's why I put all the links there. Best Buy doesn't carry CV. I saw a sweet CV sub at Fry's for an awesome price a week or two ago and if my gift cards were to Fry's I would have probably purchased it. Thanks anyway though!

brad cook

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I never really thought much of the basic Cerwin-Vega gear. They make big tough drivers, but sound quality was never so good.

Hard to say without listening. Some subs can sound much better than others - depends a lot on the damping. Also depends on what speakers you'll be matching them with. I like the Sony because it's LPF goes down to 50Hz - but then that would be for use with some mains that can handle some bass on their own.

Though the Wharfedale looks like the loser of the set, to me.

Now here's a nice setup: :D

http://www.hsustore.com/tn1220ho-800.html

edit: seriously though, $500 is out of your budget but this looks pretty sweet:

http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...that Hsu website doesn't have anything that comes close to my budget. Nice looking stuff though. I wish I could afford a premium system.

I think I agree about the Wharfedale. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting that.

brad cook

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Did-Ja look at the Yamaha YST-SW215 ? A few less watts than the Sony, and a smaller driver, but also $50 less. I guess I just like Yamaha home audio stuff.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah I did look at that as a matter of fact and it would be nice to only spend $150. I almost put it up here but then I decided if I was going to get one with an 8" sub I might as well go for the Celestion that's pumping 200 watts.

brad cook

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Are they in stock at your local BB? Have you heard any of them? You might like the sound of the Sony better, or maybe the Celestion with the smaller sub. Never know ;)

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What local Best Buy? :rolleyes: We have nothing here. I'll probably drive over to Killeen soon though and check them out there. I've never seen Celestion in that store though so they might not have it.

brad cook

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In classic brad cook style I purchased something completely different than what I was looking at and I didn't even buy it at Best Buy.

I was going to add 100 bucks to my gift cards to buy a 200 dollar sub. However after looking around at www.hometheaterforum.com and other places I saw a lot of people raving about this little guy over at Parts Express. So after reading tons of positive things about it I decided to buy it unheard and if it doesn't live up to the hype I'll return it and I'm just out the shipping.

I guess we'll see...

Now...how to spend my gift cards....

brad cook

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Want my birthday and Christmas lists? I'll even meet you in Waco to pick it up :D .

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You could look around at www.hometheaterforum.com for information and recommendations froma bunch of home theater hobbyists, and www.audioreview.com for reviews by users.

Personally I'd get the Sony. In general they have a terrible reputation for speakers, but lateley their low-priced subs have gotten rave reviews.

I've had very good experience with Wharfedale speakers as far as bang-for-the-buck.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks ya'll. I already purchased the Dayton Sub mentioned above but if it turns out to be unsatisfactory then I'll certainly consider all advice when I trade it for something else. I've never owned a home audio powered sub before so all comments are welcome.

brad cook

edit: Smash - you need a bigger tv to go with those nice speakers! ;) I do the rabbit ear thing too, btw. No cable fer me.