Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which of these two acoustic Michael Kelly 4-string basses would you pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 4, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I haven't played the Dragonfly Rose.

I HAVE played the Solid AB, and was very impressed. It was the closest thing I've found to the Tacoma Thunderchief in its ability to project. I thought the frets on the one I played were a little rough, but other than that, I thought it was an excellent value. If I weren't bugging my wife to get me a Tacoma, I would have gone for it instead. :D

Both the Dragonfly Rose and the Solid AB have solid tops and backs. I played a regular (laminated top) Dragonfly immediately before the Solid AB, and the difference was NOT small. The laminated bass just didn't "sing" at all. It was OK, I guess, but it had nothing on the Solid AB.

I'm sure the Dragonfly Rose is very good too. I don't know how much tonal difference there would be between the two. I'm pretty sure the top (solid spruce on both) is what matters most from a tone perspective.

Aesthetically, I prefer the Solid AB. I find the vine inlay to be a little gaudy for my tastes, and I love block inlays, but that's just my opinion. Either would be a great bass to have.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    neither. get a DB instead. ;)

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Forgive me for being a moron lost in a haze of beer and tiredness, but what is a DB?

5. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Took me a while to figure that one out too. I think it means Double Bass, but I could still be wrong.... :smug:

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    oh crap, duh. double basses are cool 'n all but completely impractical because 1) they're huge, 2) they're expensive, 3) I don't know how to play one. :) Ok, 1) and 2) are why they're impractical :)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get the Solid Top AB because all MK basses are pretty much the same, just fancier fretboard and top on the more expensive models.

8. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i tried the dragonfly from a friend. played it unplugged and it was pretty good. but like all the other acoustic basses ive tried, you get drowned out by guitars. it's pretty sweet soundin n lookin though and the action was low.

havent tried the other one though...