1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which of these two basses would you get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GentProvocateur, Oct 28, 2018.

1. JMJ Mustang

144 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. 1979 Kramer Dmz 4001

86 vote(s)
    37.4%
  1. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I recently played two basses that blew me away but are pretty different. What are your thoughts? Both are going for ~$900.

The first is a Kramer 1979 Dmz 4001. Beefy sound, simple electronics that generate a LOT of tonal variations. Really solid feeling. Heavy though and has some significant neck dive.

The second is a Justin Meldal Johnsen Mustang. Effortless to play, lighter, not as much variation and can't get as beefy but still sounds great in many contexts.

Here are pics of the Kramer:
    shopping.
    shopping-2.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I voted for the Mustang and didn't even need to read the other choice.

gregmon79, ruju, BadWithNames and 6 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I voted for the Kramer and didn't even need to read the other choice. :p

4. GentProvocateur

Cool. We're all in agreement then :)

5. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I can’t see any real reason to pay that kind of money for a heavy antique like the Kramer. Things are better now.

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I believe we’ve reached an impasse.

7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Both of these basses are great. A friend of mine had a Kramer DMZ just like the one pictured, it was indeed a killer instrument, and I’d own one for sure if I didn’t decide on an Obstructures aluminum bass instead.

As a previous owner of a JMJ, I gotta say that it really rocked. It’s got that familiar coming home Fender feel in spades. Loved everything about it- wish I would’ve tried rounds on it before deciding to sell.. I plan on owning one again, someday.

GentProvocateur likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah really I can't see spending $900 on either of those when you can get a really nice modern high end bass for that much or less. See Lakland 44-02, G&L L2000, German Warwicks, Stingray...etc.

Not yet, reddog, MrLenny1 and 6 others like this.
  9. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Ummm....Spector

Strung_Low and HolmeBass like this.
  10. GentProvocateur

Thing is, I have modern bases covered and I like the feel of both basses I posted about.

Don’t know about the Spector rec from @thunder, but are you saying @mmbongo that you just don’t feel either bass is worth ~$900?

11. If the Kramer is in good shape I would snag it. No comparison in my book, and hella more rare.

12. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    way too much $$$ for either of those!

MrLenny1 and Zooberwerx like this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That's the going rate for Kramers nowadays... have you priced a new "modern" Aluminum-necked bass lately?? In my personal universe, nothing beats the tone of an aluminum neck bass :)

cataract and Fumble Fingers like this.
  14. GentProvocateur

What would be a fair price in your book?

For the record, I will say that the Kramer dmz 4001's I've seen have solid bodies rather than a faux neck through construction

15. GentProvocateur

yeah, I don't know whether it was the dimarzio p pickup, the switch selectors, the amp, or the aluminum neck, but holy f@##^&*!#$%^&*&^%$%^&*#@#$%^#^%# it had some great tones.

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  16. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Where is the "carrots" option?

...because I believe I'd rather have $900 worth of carrots.

17. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    I just recently had a Kramer 450B pass through my hands and those aluminum necks are Awesome. Sustain for days! Loved the tone options on the 450B, it had 2 pickups, not sure if they were single coils or humbuckers. That Kramer looks great and if you can get past the weight, I would recommend you choose the Kramer. I love Mustangs, own a P/J as my #1, but those original Mustang pickups just can't do much.

18. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    Not that much!!!
    But dont listen to me. just my .02
    You gotta make yourself happy!

GentProvocateur likes this.
  19. I voted for the Mustang, but I agree that I wouldn’t pay the $$ for the JMJ when I could get a regular Mustang for half as much and take a power sander to it.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  20. Imma pass on the neck dive

Runnerman, dmt and GravyGoodness like this.