1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which of these two reverb pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fabio_MIJ, Jul 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Hi guys,

I decided to buy a reverb pedal to add a bit of depth to my sound on solos. I usually play on a JB through a Minimark. I am looking for a simple one, nothing fancy, but it should add on top of my original sound without affecting it. I have up to 250$ to invest.

I was considering these two pedals:

and

The first is a digital one, I could try it and it sounds very good (a bit pricy), while the second is a true spring pedal and I haven't tried it yet. Any opinions or suggestions? Remember, simple unit but high-quality sound and construction.

Best,
    Fabio

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Not the most inexpensive. But the best bass-specific reverb I've ever found is the Iron Ether Nimbus. It's a straight ahead analog digital reverb optimized to use with bass and baritone instruments.

The control set may seem more complicated than some, but it's actually quite easy to use and very logically set up.

What's especially nice is that there aren't a bunch of fixed spatial presets. There isn't a setting for things like club, hall, etc. There is a continuously variable "room size" knob that lets you dial in anything from the least hint of motion to a full shoegazer ambient.

I like a very subtle reverb effect that I can leave always on. Almost more of an airy presence than an actual reverb. The Nimbus lets me get that, but still has enough range to do all those in your face spacey reverb type sounds if You want them.

There's also a treble and bass knob to precisely shape the tone. And instead of an effects blend control, there are separate clean and reverb signal out levels so you're not locked into a fixed ratio between clean and effect like you'd be with a standard blend knob.

As you might guess, this is a pedal capable of a high degree of subtlety.

All analog. Boutique quality and built like a tank too. I really like mine.

$235 direct. Used isn't usually that much less ($180 on average) from what I've seen - assuming you can find one used. They don't seem to come up for sale on the usual sites all that often. But this pedal is a definite keeper IMO, so it doesn't surprise me. I shopped for about a year hoping to get a used one. But I finally gave up and just pulled the trigger. You may have better luck than I did however.

Good luck in your search.

-----
    EDIT: I said analog. I meant to say digital. Thx @Alien8 for catching my error further down.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I did try a few Reverbs But the New MXR Reverb is the only one is working for me.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i recently purchased a reverb for the same reason. it's my first pedal (ha!). i picked up an EH Holy Grail Nano from the local buy/sell/trade list for $50 USD. they retail in the $120 range, i believe. i'm sorry i can't advise on your specific two possibilities, but: IMO any decent reverb pedal will "add a bit of depth" --- i think you actually have a lot of good choices.

my experience so far: there are a few 'best' settings for soloing: so i set it, and then forget about it until i need it.

good luck in your search for a pedal.

5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I see the two you chose are spring style - any specific reason for that?

The Iron Ether reverb signal is not analog, however it is awesome. For reverb, analog vs digital means very different things. Digital is great at reverb. Analog means mechanical springs, or a physical space to achieve the effect, which on a pedalboard isn't always easy. The Nimbus does subtle really well, and extreme very well. If you spend this much on a reverb specifically for bass, this is one to get. The low end adjustment alone is quite unique for a reverb, keeping the verb distinct and not too boomy.

Otherwise to keep it simple, get a Hall of fame mini, set up the dial between two sounds and start rocking. Saves you some money too. Doesn't have a low end cut to the verb signal.

Also, the Red Panda Context is a great choice. I'm currently playing through it and real enjoy what it does. The plate setting is nice because you can tailor the reverb with bass and treble controls. It's quite a subtle setting compared to some of the other possibilities, but it's really a good sound for your needs.

blindrabbit and gsquare like this.
  6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I continue to be very happy with my IE Nimbus, but I'm in the market for a secondary reverb that does trails. If trails are not something you need, the Nimbus is fantastic. One caveat: it's pretty sensitive to input level.

7. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    I have a longer experience as guitarist than bass player, and I have always liked the spring reverb built inside the guitar amps better than the others.

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I've been through a lot of reverbs in the last months. I started looking for something that gives me the built in spring reverb sound. Mostly for playing guitar at home, but if it's useful for bass, it goes on the board. After buying and selling a few, i pulled the trigger on a Strymon Blue Sky. Basically, because it was 2nd Hand and advertised all wrong, in a completely wrong category and with the name written wrongly. I got that one so cheap i bought it just to sell it off for fifty bucks more.
    But damn, it is true what they say about the Strymons. You get what you pay for and you pay a lot.
    That one will not leave my home so fast.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    LOVE my Nimbus, but would get a Strymon any day if I had the funds.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Marial likes this.
  10. ZOOM MS70CDR

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you want a really good spring reverb that works well with bass, see if you can find one of the old (not the GC name borrowed) Acoustic 150s. Not the companion 150b bass amp. The 150 guitar amp.

Back in the late 70s a lot of savvy bass players used those. The EQ points worked really well for bass. And it had a full tank reverb and a tremolo to die for. I used to run my Ripper through one of those at clubs with the bass on 5, the treble on 3, and the reverb and tremolo set between 1 and 2. Beautiful lively sound. Especially with roundwounds.

Marial likes this.
  12. SamuelSandoval

SamuelSandoval Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I just sold my Wampler Faux Reverb. It is truly a great reverb pedal, did not change the tone of the bass. Simple to use, subtle and you could place the crest of the verb effect anywhere with the color knob. The pedal although digital really does sound like an analog spring reverb.

I just sold it for 180 too. If you wanted used, you just missed out my friend.

13. There's a bunch of good reverbs. I started out using the reverbs in the line 6 m5 which are actually one of the m5s highlights. I used the janek gwizdala sausage and beer tonprint in the tc electronic flashback delay for a bit, now I'm using the digitech polara reverb and I feel like it covers all my reverb needs.

14. Embra

Embra Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm a huge reverb fan and have been through the Iron Ether Nimbus, EQD Ghost Echo, Keeley Aurora, Red Panda Context, TCE HOF and Neunaber Slate. Until now, my faves were the Neunaber, Aurora, Context and Neunaber in that order, all of which sound great on bass (for simplicity the Aurora is fantastic, although it doesn't have a spring). My current, and I expect it will be keeper, is the blue sky - I'm not a huge user of spring reverb but it's a lot of fun on the strymon! The shimmer and mod sound great after synth too.

15. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Just my taste and opinion, but I A/B compared the blue sky against the wampler faux spring. Apart from the complexity of the blue sky that I don't need, the faux spring sounded much more natural than the other one. Again, just my taste.

SamuelSandoval likes this.
  16. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Why did you sold it? :D

17. SamuelSandoval

SamuelSandoval Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Good question. I sold all my pedals and even my bass, my preamps, everything in order to get a high end bass. Otherwise I would have kept it. It is a great reverb.

18. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Ciao Fabio. Not comparing it to any other pedals, I very much like my Strymon Flint with bass guitar.

The Flint's 60s and 70s reverb modes are lovely with guitar or bass. The reverb just sits nicely below (or around if you set it) the instrument sound, the dry sound in quite pure, and each reverb mode is surprisingly flexible considering there are only three main controls for setting them. The Flint's 80s reverb mode is a guilty pleasure, especially for players who ever worked with the big Lexicon reverb units back then.

Lastly, though irrelevant to sound, if you swap nice knobs onto the Strymon Flint, it looks pretty good. ;)

19. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions!