Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which of these two rigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJS, May 25, 2002.

1. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Which of these two rigs would you prefer and why?

1) Ampeg B-5R head (350W@4ohm, 500W@2ohm) and an Ampeg BSE-410HLF cab (4X10, 4ohm)
    2) Hartke 3500 head (240W@8ohm, 350W@4ohm) and a Hartke 4.5XL cab (4X10, 8ohm)

I know it depends on personal taste, but what are your thoughts on these two set-ups? I play mostly Rock/Blues and a little Jazz. It will be used with either a Lakland 55-01 or MTD Heir 5. Haven't decided which one of those to get yet. Opinions or thoughts on the two basses are welcome too. Thanks for the info.

RJS

2. You can't be serious. Ampeg vs Hartke?

Ampeg wouldn't be my first choice, but if you're leaning toward a professional career and sound, Ampeg is obvious.

If you still wear your baseball cap backwards, go for Hartke.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Of these two - Ampeg...

4. newbalance802

newbalance802

May 16, 2002
    Unless hartke's got you on contract go with ampeg.But BUY USED!!!!!

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey wait just a gol-darn minute there. I would consider Jack Bruce to be a pro and I've never seen him wear his ball cap backwards. He uses Hartke and I'm sure he could get an amp endorsement deal from any amp maker he wanted. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Ampeg guy myself but hartkes are fine. Ampeg vs Hartke= apples vs. oranges. Both good just in different ways.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, I'm certainly no fan of SLM-era Ampeg stuff, especially solid-state, but I'd choose the Ampeg rig of the two you've listed. Hartke doesn't make it for a number of reasons, not the least is a lack of power and a rather harsh, sterile sound. The rig Jack Bruce uses is considerably more powerful but I've always wondered what it was about Hartke stuff he liked...besides the free-ness of his endorsement deal!:D

7. That SVT Pro 5 is something else!

OOpps. A B5R?

Sorry, I don't know much about the B5 yet.

I'm getting a B4R very soon.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Will Lee still sounds damned good with his Hartke rig*.

Between those two rigs I'd have to try them to decide. I've seen a lot of 3500's that have been abused and I can't blame Hartke for that.

* this is the part where people say he doesn't have a "normal" Hartke rig, his is special;)

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Of the 2, i would get the hartke head and the ampeg cab... I like my hartke head alot more than most ampegs i have played... which sounded nasty... and seemed to have an overrated power rating..

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hartke, lack of power? I've owned both, and I must say the Hartkes embarass my Ampeg power wise but I use The Ampeg because of the Tone, and yes it's a Solid State SLM Ampeg. As far as Jack bruce's free gear because of his endorsement deal. I'm sure he could have solicited a deal from Ampeg, GK, SWR, Mesa Boogie or any other brand amp manufacturer he chose and gotten the same deal.

11. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for all the input. I was leaning toward the Ampeg rig - although I do like both set-ups, they're just different. Another possibility I forgot to mention, I could go for the SWR 350X head (350W@4ohm), and a Goliath Jr. cab (2X10). It goes for about the same price as the Ampeg and Hartke, but the SWR would only be a 2X10 (as opposed to 4X10 for the other two).
    Those are pretty much my choices, unless somebody can recommend a great combo that can have another cab added.
    Thanks for all the info so far. Any other ideas or suggestions would help too.

RJS

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You missed my point. I didn't infer he couldn't get other endorsements, just that the only thing I can think of that's good about the Hartke stuff is that it's free.

13. :D I love my SWR Bass 350 (didn't get the 350X) through my 8 ohm Goliath III; I'm considering getting a 4 ohm Goliath III Junior as well for portability. As a former Ampeg player, I would pick SWR over Ampeg; and I would have taken Ampeg over Hartke based upon tone (I also am not a fan of the Hartke "aluminum sound". With the SWR you get both punch and tone.... :cool:

14. theotherpete

theotherpete

Apr 19, 2002
    GR, MI
    harkte 3500 with an ampeg cab. i'd reccomend the svt-410hlf.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A Crate by any other name is still a Crate. Get the Hartke (although it's a Samson by another name).

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    In such a tight choice : Ampeg, because I prefer their tone than that of Hartke. Very personal taste, though.

In a much wider choice : Ashdown kills'em all. Very personal taste, too ;)

All the best,

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    and free Ampeg stuff would be good too right?

18. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I know nothing about Jack Bruce's financial arraingement with Hartke. But I am going to guess that he is getting a lot more than just some free gear.

As for Hartke .vs. Ampeg, I am not a big fan of either one. I think for rock and blues, Ampeg has the better tone.

19. Go for the Ampeg if you want good tone (in my opinion). But really, like you said, it depends on personal taste, and since your buying it, your opinion is the one that really matters. It's helpful to hear what other people think, but you should just buy the amp that you think sounds better. Everyone has their own perception of what sounds good, and your's will may be different than Jack Bruce's.