1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which of these would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groundhog31, Dec 27, 2016.

1. groundhog31

groundhog31

Dec 27, 2016
    I have been looking to buy a new bass and came across two at the same price point that I'm interested in: the Schecter Model-T Session Session Series : Model-T Session and the Chapman MLB-1 MLB-1 | Chapman Guitars
    They both cost about 670 USD, and while I prefer the specs of the passive Chapman I am most comfortable and enjoy the aesthetics of the fender style schecter bass. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I have no basis to compare other than aesthetics. Having said that, while I am a fan of the traditional vintage P bass aesthetic, I am not feeling the Schecter. The PJ and blackout hardware, along with the Billy Sheehan blocks are a little too much for me. I prefer the Chapman for its clean lines and balanced look.

3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Love the schecter...Do it!

4. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Of the two, I like the the looks of the Schecter. And that is purely on looks. I have no other info to go on, although I prefer passive basses.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well, for me the answer is easy. Can I get a lefty Chapman MLB-1? No, I can't. Can I get a lefty Shecter Model-T Session? Yes, I can. Pretty easy choice. Sometimes being a lefty is a good thing; assuming you think limited choices is a good thing...:rolleyes: Certainly does simplify things, though. And for the record, I would probably get the Schecter, anyway...:thumbsup:

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Frankly, the Schecter looks too hot rod to be "traditional Fender styling". But more importantly, this is not a toy or object de arte. Get the instrument that fits your hands and ears, not eyes.

7. groundhog31

groundhog31

Dec 27, 2016
    Yeah thats the problem I'm having, the chapman suits my ears and the schecter suits my hands. A good few of the people here seem to be leaning towards the schecter based on it's looks, but for me it has a similar neck width and body shape of a P bass that I'm most comfortable with. I'm trying to decide between playability and sound. The Chapman is a bass designed through polls that where answered by 100 bass players and for the price it has great specs and is meant to be a bass that anyone could pick up and use, but as someone who isn't very comfortable playing on wider necks I'm a bit skeptical. The chapman looks like it could be the best of both worlds but all the feedback I've gotten seems to lean towards the shecter. What do you think?

8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I've had great luck with Schecter basses, and I have not run across a model T that didn't play well. I vote Schecter for sure!

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Then why not a P bass? If you like that look, they are out there, I believe in both Squier and Fender, new and used. Or you could go with All Parts or Warmoth, and for a few bucks more and use of a soldering iron, get what you want.