1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Which of these would you say has THE Ampeg tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basso Elettrico, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Ampeg Classic Analog Bass Preamp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ampeg SCR-DI Bass DI Direct Box with Scrambler Overdrive

23.1%
  3. Other

76.9%
  1. Basso Elettrico

Basso Elettrico Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    I don't own any of the two, just curious... Any of you with any experience? Which of them? Or something else?

1) Ampeg Classic Analog Bass Preamp
    2) Ampeg SCR-DI Bass DI Direct Box with Scrambler Overdrive
    3) ?

CLASSIC_3qtrleft.png
    SCR-DI_Top-8161087b92d15d50d4d609eebca21620.jpg

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    3) = V4B

lf?set=path%5B1%2F5%2F2%2F5%2F9%2F15259111%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.jpg

3. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    If you're getting on of them, get the scr-di.

The I may thing thats gonna get you the "ampeg tone" is a tube ampeg. Like the pf20t. It also can be ran without a cabinet.

Zbysek and Basso Elettrico like this.
  4. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    They're the same thing, sounds exactly the same with the scrambler off. I have the SCRDI and it works and sounds awesome. Had the other and it sounded great too

Zbysek and Basso Elettrico like this.
  5. I dig my SCR-DI. I also have the standalone Scrambler overdrive on my board that is my 'always on' pedal. When using my Ampeg rig, I set the SCR-DI for a really grindy, "Both-Ultras-on' type tone and use it for a couple of tunes, leaving it bypassed the rest of the time. When using a different/house-provided backline, I set it pretty neutral and leave it on all the time.

Basso Elettrico likes this.
  6. Basso Elettrico

Dec 21, 2011
    So your Scrambler stays on all the time, using pretty much as a pre-amp. What is the rest of your rig? Curios about what amp and cab you have it going into. Thanks.

7. Basso Elettrico

Dec 21, 2011
    You ended up keeping just the SCRDI, since having it plus the Scrambler would be redundant for you, is that right?

8. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    very redundant. I got the scrdi to have a solid DI for my iMac, it sounds great

9. Basso Elettrico

Dec 21, 2011
    I didn't know about the PF20T - I saw a handful of video reviews on it yesterday. Looks and sounds cool. Since I have 0 zero experience with Ampeg I wonder if getting "the Ampeg" tone is about the whole combination of the Ampeg head PLUS Ampeg speakers, OR if any of these pedals or a stand-alone smaller head (tube driven) gets it.

10. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Its really a combo of a tube ampeg through 4 individually sealed 210s or 1 sealed 15. But, they sound great with everything.

11. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Another option in pedal format is the Samsamp VTBass DI. Can do a pretty good imitation of an SVT and B15 and a good bit else too. I use one when I’m running direct to PA; it’s not as good as my V4B, but it’s also like 1/6 the price.

Check out this review:

Basso Elettrico and GitmoMango like this.
  12. My PJ5's go through a pedalboard that is Line6 G30>Scrambler>Ibanez>PhatHed PD-7>Nux ModCore Deluxe>SCR-DI. I run that into either an Ampeg MicroVR with 2x210AV cabs or an Ampeg V-4B with 2x112AV cabs or the 2x10AV cabs.

The scrambler standalone pedal is more to add a little grit when I dig in. I have the minimally adjustable Scrambler part of the SCR-DI set up for for far more drive when I want an overall distorted/overdriven type sound. As mentioned earlier, I use the SCR-DI as a more nuanced preamp for non-Ampeg rigs, and set the Ultras on for that specific grindy sound on a tune or 2 when using my gear. To get the grindy sound with non-Ampeg stuff I have to turn those on/off at the pedal before each tune it's needed on.

Basso Elettrico and redstrand like this.
  13. Basso Elettrico

Dec 21, 2011
    This is a very good demo. Thanks for sharing it. Very cool sound, I really dig it!

CTBassGuy likes this.
  14. Basso Elettrico

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks for the details, appreciate it! So you have both solid state and tube Ampegs - curious as to why you’d want a solid state if you have a tube which I assume, (if correctly or incorrectly I don’t know...) you’d like better for “the Ampeg” sound. Is the MicroVR “close” tone-wise to the V4B? Or is it a matter of having different flavors? How far are they from each other in your opinion?

15. It all has to do with how much room I have to set up and how loud I need to be. In low volume and/or tight spaces, monitoring is so good with the vertical 210s and it is ridiculously easy to transport. Though I have played larger venues with the little rig with FOH support, where I send the sound folks a tap out of the SCR-DI so that I can adjust my stage volume without screwing up their mix. The V-4B rig with the 2x112AVs roars far more than the weenie rig, but it is not always practical to take the 'big stuff'. I love playing through both of them equally. FWIW, I have never owned an SVT or an 810.

I am not one of those people who claim to be able to tell the difference between a bass made on Tuesday versus a bass made on Thursday, nor do I obsess on micro adjustments on eqs or whether black Tolex sounds better than blue Tolex or whether rat fur sounds better than both. After owning and playing through a variety of brands, including Aguilar, Mesa, GK, MarkBass, Carvin, Line 6, TC Electronics and a few others, I just know that for me, these 2 make the tone I want, that fits what I do and the song, that the band likes grooving to and are in the same tonal family enough for me to use interchangeably as far as not having to tweak my pedals.

Basso Elettrico and JimmyM like this.
  16. Eric Huber

Eric Huber

Aug 20, 2019
    Baltimore
    I love my Ampeg SCR-DI. I bought it for another reason, practice. Now I use it exclusively with my PF500 & dual PF-210 cabs. I bought it because it takes a 9v battery which is great for carrying around. It sounds as good or better then my BA-15 did. I find it a bit heavy but it's a metal case not plastic. Having said this I would love to try a SasAmp.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021