1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Of These...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenG, May 9, 2015.

1. If you were faced with the choice of deciding between these three basses....which one would you get?

Epiphone EB-O
    Epiphone Viola
    Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat......

and why?

2. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Those are all very different basses. I think I would choose the Rumblekat. no real reason though. I guess because I like the way it looks and the other two just don't appeal to me

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If you want a Hofner style, go for the Viola, much nicer bass for half the money than the real low end Hofners, which are absurdly overpriced IMO. EBO sounds tubby to me, not my cup of tea. rumblekat looks cool, but probably neck heavy?

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    None of those 3, I'd get (yet another) Jack Casady instead. ;)

5. They're all shorts...which is up my alley.......

I did try the Viola last time in the store ( two days ago)......at the time I didn't know it was a shorty......the guy told me it was "medium scale".....and to be honest it didn't feel/play like a shorty.
    However.....it had rounds on it.......the E-string sound was pretty fat and low....but I noticed what seemed to be a bit of a discrepancy in the tone and volume of each string although I never moved the volume switch or anything else. I still thought it was a not-bad bass though. The guy wanted to sell me special "Beatle Strings" to put on if I bought it ( so that I would get that McCartney sound...) The build quality seemed pretty good....

Tried the EB-O......the one I tried had no neck dive.....but it was a trade-in and the guy may have changed the strings on it although they were still rounds...
    I like the playability of the neck bigtime.......the sound may be too low for many but I liked it.....but there is always the bridge issue on the EB-O's.....Hipshot makes a replacement bridge for 2-point and 3-point Gibson/Epi's.....so that 's a hundred buck mod right there...

I have never played or seen a Rumblekat.......so I have no idea about those....

It's possible the Rumblekat could be better than the first two...I don't know.....

The Jack Cassady is a long scale so it's out of the equation.......

I'm not saying I would necessarily buy any of the above basses.......but I am on a quest to become as familiar with as many shortscales as possible because farther on down the road I will be playing only shorties because I like them. I do own a long scale currently as well.

Last edited: May 9, 2015