1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which of your basses requires the least amount of maintenance/adjustment?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bunky, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Which of your bases requires the least amount of maintenance/adjustment?

JRA likes this.
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

GL L2000 (20xx)
    83 GL SB-1
    98 Warwick Dolphin

Only need to adjust if changing to different tension strings

Actually my Squier VMPV needs no adjustment either.

3. I've never had to adjust any of my basses. No maintenance. One plug repair on a Gibson SG.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Over the weekend I gave my basses their usual seasonal trussrod adjustment.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm adjusting the skinny-necked (two octave, ibby-style) parts basses more, and the fender-style, parts axes a little less. but they're fretless and i'm picky, so there's that. i have one ax which has needed no truss adjustment since it was built/assembled:
    front2.jpg

but that's just me and mine, Bunky , what about you? are you having some difficulty --- or some relief? ;)

TN WOODMAN and EatS1stBassist like this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    The Steinberger L-2 that I got new in 1982 needed the frets resurfaced once about 35 years ago, and I re-set the intonation when I switched from exposed-core strings to normal (wound-core) strings...which was maybe 25 years ago? Other than that the only maintenance it requires is I wipe the neck down after every use, and change the 9V battery once a year.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    None of mine require much adjustment, and they're all about the same. My 2003 MIA Fender Jazz has the best tuning stability though, so I'll give it the win.

crankypants and TN WOODMAN like this.
  8. My two Schecter Ultra Bass’ need NO maintenance. My only basses which are not vintage. All my vintage Gibson’s / Guilds get a lot of care. A0155F1A-CBF9-49B6-A862-DCF9B4967819.jpeg

Alan Ace Cooper and Outtaseezun like this.
  9. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    2017 Mike Lull M5V
    2005 MM Stingray SR5
    ESP LTD Fretless

Slight neck relief tweak twice a year from season changes.

These basses don’t demand any other attention or maintenance from me. I did recently switch to lighter-gauge strings and it took a week of playing and tweaking to get the set-up right for me. Other than that, there’s really nothing else that they require of me to be play-ready.

Outtaseezun and TN WOODMAN like this.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I barely ever have to tune this puppy:
    DSCN2587.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  11. HagenToke

HagenToke

Jul 11, 2019
    PNW
    My US Masters bass. I've had it for around 10-15 years and haven't had to adjust it once!!!! The company doesn't exist anymore but they changed the game when it comes to guitar necks. You can literally lay the guitar down stand on the neck and not only will it not break...it plays just as it did before. I've seen this done. I don't really want to do it with my own tho. Everything else, honestly, I need to do a little something each year. Normally some truss rod adjustments

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  12. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, chaat enthusiast Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I never adjust nothin. Set it and forget it.

TN WOODMAN and fhm555 like this.
  13. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    I used to own over 14 different basses. The one that has required the least maintenance (and even stays in tune for long periods of time) is my Lakland. That's why it's the one that I held on to.

14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    right now, my great old Cort PJ being parted out
    ...in hopes of making it a killer again someday
    upload_2020-6-1_4-53-50.png

15. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    My Fender style basses require the seasonal adjustment , but I have two older Rickenbackers with the older spring style rods . They don't move . And my Dano Longhorn is pretty stable , I last tweaked it about twenty years ago ...

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  16. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My Ric, Pbass, L2000, and T40 have never needed any adjustment unless I've changed string gauge which I haven't done since the late 90's :D

Holdsg, Greenstreet and TN WOODMAN like this.
  17. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    My ‘17 Fender American Pro Jazz Bass needed a slight truss rod adjustment when I got it in November (as well as the resultant string height and intonation tweaks) but haven’t done anything since, except to play it.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  18. My Musicmasters have always been reliable, don't mess with them.

The Bronco is a new acquisition that I've only had a few months. First one I attempted setup on myself, so far it's been good too.

Tristan Wright and TN WOODMAN like this.
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    This custom build from Crescent Moon arrived from the other side of the country pretty danged close to perfectly in tune:

Wramp.JPG

I bought it in 2003 and in all that time I've adjusted the truss rod twice, both times for string type changes.

20. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    I've tweaked the truss rod on my 1999 Fender American Deluxe Jazz maybe four times over the past 20 years. That's it. Apparently the marketing about the graphite truss rod holds up. Stays in tune amazingly well.

lfmn16, Samatza and TN WOODMAN like this.