Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which on board pre amp for my G&L ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NOCEMANOVELOCE, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Hi I wonder if anybody can help me with this problem and give me some honest advise. The local shop are pushing their own choice and I never know when they are cheating.
    I need to make these g&l soapbar pukps to run active, as the original pre is dead. These pikups are nice and I want something transparent, distorsion free and noiseless for them, just bass/treble boost and volume/balance?
    :bawl:

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    That's a tough call.

If my L2K were to go dead I'd probably call Buffallo Bro's and get another G&L preamp. Though, it might be a nightmare to install. If you keep the old one in the bass until you actually put in the new one it would probably be 10 times easier.

The G&L pre is so unique that installing anything else would really be taking a chance ..especially with a boost only circuit. The G&L pre is actually a cut only circuit.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Get a new factory preamp. Don't put anything else in.

4. Thanks both buddies, it makes sense. I have already experimented by mounting the preamp from a cheap Aria IGB bass and it did not sounded good at all, strange sounded ike the Aria.
    I will contact G&L from overhere in the UK! I hope it can done.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It is one of those things where the pickups and preamp are really made for each other and no other preamp will sound right. Best of luck!

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    You may want to jump into the G&L forum at the thedudepit.com to get the info for Buffalo Bros Guitars. They're the premier dealer of G&L and are located a few miles from the G&L production plant. From what I understand, you can get just about anything G&L from them for a great price.