Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which on-board pre-amp for Seymour Duncan Active Soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ryan OD, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Ryan OD

Ryan OD

Nov 3, 2003
    Northern VA
    Having a custom bass built. These are the specs...

5-string
    35" scale
    neck through
    Mahogany body w/ Bubinga laminates front & back
    Maple neck w/ 2 Bubinga stringers

Play mostly heavy rock. Looking for a good aggresive tone w/ lots of growl. But, would also like to be able to dial in a clean, natural and warm tone with lots of clear bass.

Looking at the Seymour Duncan Basslines Active Soapbars. Anyone have any input as to what on-board active pre-amp/EQ would be a good match for my desired results?

I play through a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and have a SansAmp RBI (that I use sparingly).

Thanks

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    How about the Basslines 3 band system or maybe the Aggie 3 band. I like the Aggie a little better, but the slap contour switch on the Basslines was very usable for me when I had it. Not too sure how a Bart would do, but my guess would be that it would do fine as well.

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had the SD active soapbars with the SD 3 band. I got rid of it because it was too hifi for my tastes.

One thing the pickups did that I really liked was that as you played harder at a certain point it would kind of kick in to a more aggressive tone. Kind of like when a tube starts to overdrive from clean or when the secondaries on a 4 barrel carb kick in if you know that sound. I guess it could be kind of a defect to have a bump in the tone at a certain threshold but I really dug it. The aero single coils I replaced them with doesn't do it.