1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which on-board pre-amp for Seymour Duncan Active Soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ryan OD, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Ryan OD

Ryan OD

Nov 3, 2003
    Northern VA
    Having a custom bass built. These are the specs...

5-string
    35" scale
    neck through
    Mahogany body w/ Bubinga laminates front & back
    Maple neck w/ 2 Bubinga stringers

Play mostly heavy rock. Looking for a good aggresive tone w/ lots of growl. But, would also like to be able to dial in a clean, natural and warm tone with lots of clear bass.

Looking at the Seymour Duncan Basslines Active Soapbars. Anyone have any input as to what on-board active pre-amp/EQ would be a good match for my desired results?

I play through a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and have a SansAmp RBI (that I use sparingly).

Thanks

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    How about the Basslines 3 band system or maybe the Aggie 3 band. I like the Aggie a little better, but the slap contour switch on the Basslines was very usable for me when I had it. Not too sure how a Bart would do, but my guess would be that it would do fine as well.

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had the SD active soapbars with the SD 3 band. I got rid of it because it was too hifi for my tastes.

One thing the pickups did that I really liked was that as you played harder at a certain point it would kind of kick in to a more aggressive tone. Kind of like when a tube starts to overdrive from clean or when the secondaries on a 4 barrel carb kick in if you know that sound. I guess it could be kind of a defect to have a bump in the tone at a certain threshold but I really dug it. The aero single coils I replaced them with doesn't do it.