1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one? Ampeg SVT Heritage or Fender Super Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by porkdog324, Oct 27, 2013.

1. porkdog324

porkdog324 User who is Registered

Aug 5, 2011
    British Columbia
    Hey All

I'm looking to buy some new gear. I've got some inheritance money coming and I want to splurge on a new rig.

I play in a couple of bands and we play covers of country/rock with a little bit of blues.

My main bass right now is an AVRI 1958 Pbass.

This is what I've kinda been looking at:

Ampeg HSVTCL All-tube SVT 300W head Heritage Series
    Ampeg HSVT410HLF 4-10" cabinet x2

or

Fender Super Bassman
    Fender Bassman 410 NEO Cab x2

What do you guys think? I'm very open to suggestions lol

Brent

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I don't know about the Fender cabinet but as far as amps go I would get the Super Bassman; it has the features and tone that would never make me feel like i would keep looking for something.

Cabinets? Check out some of the custom cabs made by LDS or some of the Greenboy designed cabs.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Both heads are great.
    I would pair the one you like with a Berg. NV610.
    That cab would kill for the tone your after.

4. I'd get the Ampeg Heritage & swap out the 410HLF's for a Heritage 810. The 410HLF cab is a weird lift and an 810 is not as bad as you would think. Classic, iconic setup...an Ampeg SVT with a P bass.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have not played the Fender, but the Heritage SVT-CL is freaking awesome. Just used mine tonight with the H810e on a gig. Two of the Heritage 410hlf's would be great if you like big deep low end response, although I wouldn't like to be the guy who has to stack the one 410hlf on top of the other. Me, I prefer the somewhat rolled off lows of the 810e. Still has plenty of low end energy for my needs. And it's pre-stacked ;)

jazzbass_5 likes this.
  6. If they are similar prices I would personally get the Ampeg Heritage setup, even though I am not Ampeg's biggest fan.

I'd opt for the Heritage 810, or a Berg NV610 (they are doing a limited run with a horn).

7. IMHO the Ampeg is the better of the two amps. The fender tone stack and I do not get along, as I like mids, and the traditional fender is a cut only.

Per cabs, neither Ampeg or Fender make a cab I would WANT to pair their amps with. Personally I would go with a greenboy Dually.

Its lighter, and louder than an 810e.

8. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    If you want 410 cabs and not a 810 I would go with 410HEs although they dont come in the Heritage line.

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :hyper: Fender Super Bassman, Baby! Yeah! :hyper:

10. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Go with the Ampeg. You won't regret it. I would check out the ampeg 810, they are bulky but easier to move around than the 410. The Berg 610 is equally sweet but costs more.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The new bassman amps (100T and 300) have two channels, a vintage channel with a passive eq and an overdrive channel with an active midrange circuit like the ampeg and a preamp gain control.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    After a miserable quality control experience with a Heritage SVT-CL, I would see if you can find a SLM US made SVT-CL. That's what I ended up doing and am thrilled. I ended up spending 1/3rd of the price of the Heritage and I think I ended up with a better amp.

I was disappointed to see that Ampeg is putting JJ 6550s in the Heritage these days instead of the Winged Cs of yesteryear.

13. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've had both in my 73 SVT and can't really complain about either. I had used Winged C's in my SVT-CL and V4 previously as well as their 6L6GCs in my B15 and really liked them, never had an issue. The Winged C's in my SVT I bought new when I got the amp and they were about 2 years old when I replaced them with a set of JJs (hunting down noise issues, long story). In that two year span the price of those tubes nearly tripled. A matched pair of winged C's will set you back $150 these days versus $217 for a whole sextet of JJs.

Edit - I will add that while hunting down said noise issue my tech managed to get one of the JJs to pop and blow the fuse in the SVT, but after retesting them they were all fine and they've been golden ever since. He said it's something he's seen a few times with the new JJs, they'll crap out once when driven hard but be fine later. So there's that.

14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It would be a tough decision if you are trying to be objective. But it depends on the sound that you are looking for. For that kind of dosh, I'd want to audition them both, even if it means a road trip.

The amps have different tone stages. Some people love Fender, some don't.

The SVT sound is more recognizable. The Heritage is a well proven design that is an industry standard. The Fender Super Bassman is a relatively new design that is trying to establish itself in the bass marketplace. It is Fender's answer to the SVT.

The Heritage is built to a higher standard than the other SVT amps. It helps it be more road worthy. Fender is also built well.

Have you seen this review? You can PM tombowlus on talkbass and ask him if he has any further impressions.

15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    What pissed me off is that on the Ampeg page for the Heritage SVT-CL they still state this:

"Designed and assembled in the U.S.A., the Ampeg Heritage SVT-CL is built with premium components and construction, delivering true Ampeg tone. Premium tubes, including “Winged C” tubes provide unmatched tone and classic Ampeg EQ offers flexibility and control. It’s Ampeg’s Heritage, but it’s your gear…and has been for over 60 years."

Then if you read the specs they mention JJs. But it is false advertising. I get that the Winged Cs have gone up in price. I get that JJs are fine. I get it. But don't give me JJs if you promised me Winged Cs.

Erik Tomas likes this.
  16. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    They changed to JJ after the first Heritage run, the initial run was Winged C and coincided with a the price spike (maybe ampeg bought up as much as the US distributor could supply?). Odd that they haven't updated the website to reflect this change, though I have seen ad copy elsewhere saying JJ tubes.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Winged C's are no longer being made.

18. +1 and that is the reason existing stock pricing is on the rise. I still have a GE 6550 tube box from decades ago with a price tag of $3.85.

19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If the box includes the tube, I'll give you $4 cash for it. :p

20. Deal!

I didn't say it was still the GE 6550 in there, just the box. :D