1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one? Ampeg SVT Heritage or Fender Super Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by porkdog324, Oct 27, 2013.

1. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    In that case, would you take two gnarly RCA 12AX7 tube boxes in trade?

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I like the Eq on the Ampeg but there are interesting festures on the Fender.
    For speakers I would go with neither cab. I have the modern, brighter HLFs but I think they need more power. I would go with Deltalite II 2510, as many as you need, for those amps. More efficient, clear and open sound and takes both Eq and pedals well, IME.

3. Sorry already have some old print and a couple new print :p :D
    It is incredible to see those old price tags and look at current prices though. If we could go back in time.......

4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    If I could go back, I'd buy a case of VF14 tubes and the Neumann mics to go with them.

And to think that they made a good profit selling the tubes at those prices. A dealer paid half these prices.

[​IMG]

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Being generous in estimations of age of the tube box, $3.85 in 1970 would be $22.45 today. $3.85 from 1960 would be $29.44 today. Both of those are pretty close to the average cost of a single modern production tube. Modern production might not be up to the standards of that GE, but that's a whole other can of worms.

6. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    But going back in time would be fun though. I could use that sort of vacation. Plus, knowing the outcome in advance, you could buy stock and place some bets and clean up.

Then again every time I play my vintage amps, I am going back in time.

7. I have an SLM-made CL and love it. I've burned a couple of resistors because I played on bad tubes and vice versa, but it is solid. Put all the knobs flat and plug it into a good cab and you're ready to rock n' roll. Every Fender tube amp I've used took some fiddling with and even then sounded kinda soft to me.

I'll do my part on OT tube opinions: I have had several brands of output tubes in my amp. Electro-Harmonix, Tung Sol, Winged C, and Sovtek. I have JJ KT-88's in there now and I think my amp sounds the best it ever has.

8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    They are both great amps. I have owned my share of all tube SVTs and loved every one of them. I currently regularly gig a Super Bassman and at one stage AB'ed it with my SVT VR. The Super Bassman was versatile enough to cop the VR's tone fairly easily, maybe because it also uses 6550 tubes. The Super Bassman is lighter than an SVT, but I do suspect the SVT might go a little louder - purely a subjective opinion and I would never need any extra grunt anyway. Others have disagreed with me on this point.
    All that said, it is a Heritage version SVT we are talking about and if I was to get another that would be the one......

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

+1 Tim1. I agree with everything except for the last sentence about the Heritage. Those few extra pounds are bit much for me and besides I can get my Super Bassman to sound like my ole beloved SVT but I can't get an SVT to sound like a Super Bassman ;)

But really as been said make the effort to A/B them because they're both great.

Rezdog

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  10. Agreed with above two.

The Fender WILL cop the SVT tone EASILY with the vintage channel. Then ya got the whole other world of the active channel. Which CAN be eq'd to sound pretty much identical to the vintage channel if you like.

The vintage channel has plenty of mids too. So I wouldn't worry about the passive Fender tone stack & it's 2.10.2 set up.
    I'm a BIG fan of mids & usually pump them a bit on most of my amps/EQ's but I've never been found wanting of more from this amp. The times when I HAVE wanted a real mid forward push, I just EQ the Active channel to sound identical to the Vintage channel then crank the mid (semi para) on the active chan.
    Here in Aus the Super Bassman is about $1500 LESS than the RETAIL price on the SVT-VR, & the Heritage is similar. So it was a no brainer for me.
    Love the Super Bassman, Love the SVT-CL & VR & H-SVT-CL too, but the 15lbs less weight, 2 channel options & less $$ made it easy for me.

bencue73 likes this.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have tried a couple of Fender heads and cabs and always found that they lacked the punch and clarity that Ampeg has.

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    For what you play, the fender super bassman would be a good choice. the ampeg svt heritage is more suitable for hard rock and heavy metal.

13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Frankly, I would be happy with either for any style of music. Just remember that the super Bassman 300 with its active overdrive channel is very different to any Fender bass head that has gone before it.

14. +1
    The Super Bassman is VERY different to even the earlier Fender Bassman 300PRO.
    I've never subscribed to the 'this amp is suited to this type of music' myself.
    I feel a GOOD amp, or a well designed amp will easily do pretty much any & every type of music & it's up to the bassist to make it work.
    I too would be happy with either- H SVT-CL or SB300. I know I've used the Ampeg SVT for disco, funk, country, soul, jazz, metal, Rythym n Blues etc. .. & since I've had my SB300 I've used it for metal, classic rock, country, jazz, blues, funk, disco.
    Both are very versatile amps.

Also, regarding a comment Tim1 said above, I've run my Super Bassman VERY loud & clean. Whether it was louder than my old SVT I dunno, it seems to me it was, but I haven't directly A/B'd them.
    :thumbup::thumbup::cool::cool:

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I will never get that line of thinking. I use mine for everything...rock, pop, funk, disco, jazz, from all eras from the 50's till now...and I do it on both electric and upright. Always sounds great, always sounds appropriate.

16. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I'd go with the Super Bassman. I really like the feature set and it sounds as good as any SVT I've played.

17. Super Bassman 300 & NV412
    20131002_181259_zpse92e024f.

18. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

SVT + P Bass-it does not get better than that if you have the means to transport it and the back to lift it. I do not but wish I did

19. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    If I had the dough to choose between the two rigs in question, right now, I would go the Fender route. But either one is awesome. Buy both!

20. porkdog324

porkdog324 User who is Registered

Aug 5, 2011
    British Columbia
    I've actually considered that lol.

Seriously though, thank you everyone for your input.

I am leaning towards the Fender setup or was it the Ampeg?:bag:

Arrgh:confused: