1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one? Ampeg SVT Heritage or Fender Super Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by porkdog324, Oct 27, 2013.

1. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The SVT has been a popular amp for 40 years. I wonder where the Fender Super Bassman will be in 40 years from now. Who knows. Ask yourself if you want old school or a modern update.

Of course, it has to look cool. Which one turns you on. Then there is always the option of a Fender head on a Heritage cabinet. I'm not sure but I think that you can get arrested for having an SVT head on a Fender speaker cabinet. I've never seen it done.

Which ever one you choose, you don't want to be second guessing yourself afterward. :p

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    No doubt the same would have been said of the SVT 40 years ago......:D

3. I'd get a 100T and a 610neo because it looks cool.

I'm serious.

4. dairyman3833

dairyman3833

Aug 19, 2010
    Chicago
    Im not allowed to say really.
    What? Because it looks cool? Please don't do that. Sound and quality is where it's it, not looks. That's like suping up a fricking Honda Civic with a 4 cylinder in it. There's no way it's gonna beat an 8 cylinder all american car so why bother? It looks silly as hell and sounds ridiculous. Not to say that bass lineup sux cause it shure doesn't. But Im hammered and maybe your just messing around.....bollucks!

5. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    Get both man.....it's an inheritance.....remember?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It actually took until the 80's before people started saying that ;)

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    the fender super bassman would be a good choice for what you play. It's also great for other music genres too.

8. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but I am still undecided about which amp to buy. I had ordered a Super bassman with the 610 a while back in blonde oxblood, but they discontinued the cab in that color so i had to cancel my order. I didnt re-order the amp, due to actually needing the money shortly after.

Now i am looking to get a tube amp again, Ive only owned a 400+shortly (hated it). Right now i have the Heritage 410HLF. For the most part I like the cab, but it does break up when being pushed, however i think tubes will help. I am pushing it with a 7 Pro which is works great, but I do think its time for something with more tubes. I chased tone for a couple years and ended up back at Ampeg. I do like the Ampeg tone for sure, but this is only when i have the Ultra low button engaged. Other wise it sounds kind of wooly to me and i dont care for it. I sometimes add some mids back in, but generally i just run the eq flat with the ultra low pushed in.

I have only played a CL a handful of times and never owned one. I have never played the Super bassman. I do own a newer Rumble 100V3 which i hear over and over are amazing sounding amps. It sounds ok to me, but im not in love with it. the 20 lbs or so make it worth it to me however.

Would the new rumble 100 be a decent example of what the Fender Super bassman could be similar too?? If so then maybe I should get the SVT. I just dont want to throw down 2400 dollars on an amp when i could be happier with the super bassman IF being able to cop the same tones as the HSVT CL. Originally i was thinking that the 2nd channel would be great. but i have pedals for that anyway.

So Super bassman is 600 or so dollars cheaper, and i can get it for like 1300-1400 new, and is only 65 lbs, but i dont know if i will like the tone, because no one in my area(Gilbert AZ) has one for me to try. Also auto Bias.
    Or the HSVT which is 2400 and i dont know how much of a deal i can get on it, weighs 80lbs and I assume I will like the tone with the Ultra low pushed in.

Anyway, thanks for reading my way too long post about my personal issues with not being able to decide on a tube amp.

Input is welcome! Thanks!
    Jon

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The Rumble 100 is absolutely nothing like the Super Bassman 300. They wear the same badge, that is all. IMO the Super Bassman can cop the SVT tone better than any other amp around, plus it is more versatile (again IMO). Don't get me wrong, I am an Ampeg tube fan as much as Fender and I would be happy with either. If you decide to buy Ampeg it would definitely be the Heritage for me, but I honestly don't know whether the extra thousand bucks could ever justify it.
    Again, to answer your question the Rumble and Super Bassman are nothing like each other. I too am not a fan of the Rumble but I love my Super Bassman 300 (and I also love my Ampeg V4B;)).
    EDIT: Have you considered an Ampeg V4B? I use mine at rehearsals with a 410HLF and the guys in the band really like it, as do I? Also at 40 pounds considerably lighter than the other two, I think the preamp section is the same as the CL and it can go pretty loud. Great tone, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  10. DTJ BASS

DTJ BASS

Apr 19, 2014
    It sounds like your an ampeg kind of guy, for ampeg tone their is nothing better than hsvt cl . The superbassman sounds great as well but a fender rumble does not come close to a superbassman imho.

11. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    DTJ Bass, thank you for responding. Have you played the both the Fender super bassman and the new rumbles? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, but they have been re-designed and have some decent tone now. Not like the older sterile rumbles. Maybe I was comparing apples to oranges. The ampeg sound is pretty evident in just about everything they make so my thought process on that was that they could sound similar, or perhaps be in the same ball park at least.

Unfortunately like i said previously, I have yet to play either the HSVT-CL or the Super Bassman. So I am hoping to get some responses from folks who are familiar with the tones of these. That amount of cash is a lot to me, so I have done all the reading I can on both amps from reviews to manufacturer specs etc. Now I am trying to get honest opinions. If you have played both the HSVT and the Super Bassman would you care to elaborate on some sonic differences?? I mean if possible.

Thank you!!
    Jon

12. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    Oops, sorry Tim I missed your responce to this. Thanks for the clarification on the new Rumbles.

My concern on the V4-B is clean headroom, that is also why I am not considering the 100T. Thanks!

13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I can definitely comment on clean headroom in the V4B and Bassman 100T as this is what I seek in an amp and I have owned and gigged both. I bought one of the first Bassman 100Ts when they came out (I started the major thread on it), initially I enjoyed the tone and versatility but it went into power tube overdrive too soon for my tastes, although others prefer it for precisely this feature. This led to me buying the Super Bassman 300 which has all the versatility of the 100T, 6550 power tubes (same as SVT CL) and more clean headroom than I could ever use.
    I recently bought an Ampeg V4B and I can assure you that it has more clean headroom available than the 100T - while on paper they both have the same power with four 6L6s each, something in the design of the V4B allows it to compress more smoothly than the 100T, giving the appearance of greater clean headroom. IMO it stays clean considerably louder than the 100T, and I really appreciate the simplicity of its controls.
    I must confess that, all things being equal, I would find it very difficult to choose between the Super Bassman 300 and a Heritage SVT CL, but in your situation the weight and cash difference would probably swing me towards the Super Bassman.
    Hope this helps.

Jheake and TC.65 like this.
  14. DTJ BASS

DTJ BASS

Apr 19, 2014
    Jheake, I have played through the svt cl last weak and thought it was very,very nice and I will buy one soon as it was that good. I have also spent a lot of time with the super bassman and also love its tone and versaltility very nice amp. IMHO the svt cl and SB have different tones. I think either of these amps or great but if you want ampeg tone I would choose the svt cl. Tim1 is right on about the rumbles as they are nothing like a super bassman. Just my two cents and their is really only one way to find out is to try both and sometimes that is not possiable.

Jheake likes this.
  15. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    Thank you both once again for responding. Right, I have no way to try these amps out in person. I would settle for the normal SVT CL against the Super Bassman in a shop if i could even find a Super Bassman to try out. No shops in my state even have any that i can track down to play. You would think the bass place would have one and they dont. Sam Ash doesnt, and of course GC doesnt carry much high end bass stuff anymore these days. So I have to buy with out playing them which makes it very tough.

At this point I am thinking about picking up the Super Bassman, purely because of its feature set. I have read in more than one thread on here that the SB can cop SVT tones. So with that logic in mind the SB is the wiser choice. the auto bias, lighter weight, 2 channels etc. not to mention the price difference. As much as i would love to just throw down 2400 on a head. That price just kind of keeps it just out of my reach. I am going to reach out to my sales guy at sweetwater and see just how low he can get me on the HSVT CL, before pulling the trigger. If he can get me an amazing deal on it, it will make my decision that much more difficult =).

Tim, I appreciate your feedback about the V4-B, and I will see if there is one close by for me to check out somewhere. thanks!

16. DTJ BASS

DTJ BASS

Apr 19, 2014
    Best wishes, you will love either one , keep us posted on the out come,

17. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    +1. They are both great amps. Either way, you will not be disappointed.

18. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

19. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So... Does anybody have feelings on how the Super Bassman 300 compares to the Mesa Prodigy?
    And how would these amps sound/feel through a fEARful (flat-response, ported) cabinet ?

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Just for giggles, A Reeves 225 is not a bad choice either.