1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which one? Ampeg SVT Heritage or Fender Super Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by porkdog324, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    Well, I ended up getting a SVT CL. I was saving for the Heritage, and I was in GC getting drum sticks. So I decided to peruse the gear that had out for the Christmas sale.

They just happened to have a brand new SVT CL chilling on clearance. It didn't even look like it had been turned on.

The price was 999, and I talked them down another 100 off that.

So I got a brand new SVT CL for 900 bones. I was pretty stoked.

Now. This is something I should have done years ago. The difference between all tube and solid state is night and day. I never thought I would be that blown away by an SVT. I owned a 400+ briefly and hated it.

Sounds damn good. I am definitely converted to tubes. I don't think I'll ever go back.

I still may end up getting a heritage at some point. Because if they make a better version of the amp I just got I want it.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1418450026.679086.

dbbltime, JGbassman, gregmari and 3 others like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nothing at all wrong with a regular CL!

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Did you really get the head+cabinet brand new for $900? That sounds like an amazing deal... Congrats!

4. I'm loving my Super Bassman With my new (to me) SVT810.
    Tonight at at biker function.
    20141213_183034_zpsdqxaypvi.
    Sounds fantastic. Love having 8 x 10" speakers and 6 x 6550's pushing em.
    I agree
    Nothing beats a Damn well designed 300w all tube amp and a big sealed cab.

dbbltime and Kygr like this.
  5. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    No I just got the head for 900. I already owned that fantastic HSVT 410hlf. Which is one of my fav cabs to date.

6. Out of personal curiosity since you were looking at the SVT Heritage... Where is the Super Bassman made? I've been looking, but have never found out.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    So Rod, how does the Ampeg 810 compare to the Berg 412 - since you obviously have dialled in a decent tone now? I am still housebound until New Year with this damned appendix (which is of course no longer there:laugh:) but am allowed out to first gig on New Years Eve. It is a big and well known venue with a huge PA so not sure whether to take the SB300/Fender neo 810 or my Orange AD200/Berg 215 which is a lovely matchup. I want to give the Fender 810 another hit since I have sorted out the eq for it, but the venue has just invested in a new monitor setup with some quality onstage monitor subs so it might well be overkill. Got a biker outdoor rally a couple of weeks after that so might use the Fender 810 then.
    Did a biker rally a few years ago where someone took a photo of me onstage adjusting my amp while the strippers were doing their thing - unfortunately the camera angle and perspective made it appear as though I was sandwiched between them! Long story short, the photo was published in a national biker mag and I spent a very uncomfortable few weeks hoping that none of my school students or their parents buy that mag :rolleyes::D.
    Tim1, A moment ago Edit Delete Report Bookmark

mattwear likes this.
  8. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az

I believe they are made in Mexico.

9. Mike Weinstein

Mike Weinstein

Aug 11, 2016
    Jimmy, I've been following your posts on the Ampeg heads.....I've since gotten a V4B ri, and an SVT-CL HERITAGE.....LOVE THE SVT....I'm in an 8pc band and need the clean headroom to punch thru.....Here's a photo from Saturday nite's outdoor show in Boynton Beach, with FOH support....THANK'S FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THESE AMPS.....Cab is Bergantino HS410.. 16422404_1498028453544190_3760111738509044742_o-1.

JimmyM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Very cool, Mike! Funny, though...I'm in an 8-pc band too, and I just did a gig using a BA112 v2 to cover a 250 seat room, and I often use a PF-50T into a single 112. Your band must be a lot more fun than mine :D

11. Mike Weinstein

Mike Weinstein

Aug 11, 2016
    It's called THE WOLFEPAK BAND....I love the band.....We have rehersal every week......3 singers out front.....I was taking a big amp to rehersals, but I'm going to just use the provided amp the studio has.....to save my body....lol....I have the SVT 212AV....I like it, but with the V4B, its at its clean limit in this band.....Might get a second for the V4B....but I'm still on the fence about it....Thanks again for all your AMPEG expertise....It helped me a lot.....Thanks.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. Mike Weinstein

Mike Weinstein

Aug 11, 2016
    Well I broke down and got a 2nd 212AV.....Gig tomorrow nite....Gonna use this.....I think it will be great..... 20170203_165057_Burst01. 20170203_165057_Burst01.

rodl2005, orik, freedomryder and 7 others like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Dang man, I'll bet that stack crushes!

Mike Weinstein likes this.
  14. Mike Weinstein

Mike Weinstein

Aug 11, 2016
    One 212AV IS LOUDER THAN THE BERGANTINO HS410.....2X 212AV'S IS LOUDER THAN ONE.....SO IN THE LOW VOLUME "CONDO APT TEST", I THINK THE V4B WILL HAVE THE CLEAN HEADROOM I NEED TO HAVE IN MY BAND.....MEDIUM SIZE CLUB TOMORROW....AN SVT WOULD BE OVERKILL.....BUT WE DO QUITE A FEW OUTDOOR GIGS WHERE THE SVT AND THIS SPKR STACK WOULD BE GREAT.....JIMMY....ITS YOUR FAULT.......THIS AMPEG STUFF IS AWSUM.....WAS USING AND STILL HAVE....DEMETER PRE AND CROWN 2002......VERY HI FI AND TRANSPARENT WITH THE BERG....ALMOST TOO TRANSPARENT.....

JimmyM likes this.
  15. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Here is your country rig. The SVTCL running through a heritage 410 hlf. If you want a deep nice country sound, this was my favorite setup for that. I ran a five string, and the hlf covers that well. The cab is a little scooped, but it sits very good for modern country. This is the rig I toured with.

Add a p bass and the mids level out the sound in a nice way. I used mostly active soap bars, and it just sounded great. Best thing is both the cab and head are built like tanks. I had gear die on me playing for almost two years straight on the road non stop, but the Ampeg gear never missed a beat. I have an 810 cab as well, and if I could only have one, I'd go with it, but it just doesn't get that country tone like the hlf does.

**edited to say I just saw the date of the original post. No doubt he has already bought his rig.**

image.

TheBear, JimmyM and Mike Weinstein like this.
  16. Mike Weinstein

Mike Weinstein

Aug 11, 2016

17. Mike Weinstein

Mike Weinstein

Aug 11, 2016
    "Wowee zowie".....Jimmy.....This stack gave me the best tone and projection I think I ever had in the last couple of years...lol......This club last nite...always had a boomy bass sound on stage....not with this setup.....eq almost flat.....bass 11....mids1 o,clock....at 800hz....treble flat....low boost and treble boost....off....master full up.... gain at 10......Tone was the same on stage or 15 ft in front....was using a cord, not wireless.....Punchy....fat, tubey....Never ran out of head room.....For all the players with V4B ri's concerned with the 100 wts runnin' out of steam to fast.....Voila....This seems to be a grand solution! At the end of the month...we have an outdoor concert....Will use the SVT HERITAGE with these cabs....Jimmy....thanks again...You really helped me out with your experience on the amps.....

JimmyM likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Awesome, Mike...glad it worked out for you!

Mike Weinstein likes this.
  19. Mike Weinstein

Mike Weinstein

Aug 11, 2016
    Thanks again Jimmy......110% happy....

20. Hey Tim, sorry I missed this one. Let me know if you still want the info.
    Take care man. :thumbsup:

mattwear likes this.