Which one and why? 55-02 or Peavey Cirrus Five?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Peavey Cirrus Five

66 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Lakland Skylin e 55-02

72 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that I have decided to wait and build up my funds before I splurge, I have thought about some basses I would enjoy owning other than active five string Jazz Basses. Two that I like the most are Peavey Cirrus Fives and Skyline 55-02s. I have owned two 55-02s, and pretty much only let them go because GAS made me do it. I currently own a Cirrus four, but I have never had the funds when a good five turned up. I have played many Cirrus fives, and I like them very much. Both are basses that, at this point in life, I would hold on to long term. Before anyone says it, yes I still love Sadowskys, but owning one particular bass is not make or break for me. Although saving up $2K or so for my "ultimate" is a great goal, buying a keeper for around $1K and socking the rest into general savings has a great deal of appeal to me too.

By the way, I know the Cirrus and 55-02 are somewhat apples and oranges, but not totally. Both are active with 35" scale, and both can sound pretty modern.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Find a shop that has both of them, play them back to back and pick the best one.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is easier said than done. More to the point, I have played both already. I am more interested in reading other folks opinions.

4. Doc I'd love to add my 2cents but as I share the house with 24 Peaveys I'm biased:D
    There's plenty love for the 55-02 but with the Cirrus being discontinued more folks will come to realise what they're missing.
    Prices surely will rise.

" refrained from voting due to bias "

5. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I have had both. Still have a Cirrus 5 at my place on loan.

Easily the Cirrus 5. Its not even close for me. But I barely play that to be honest.

Just get one of these, and your GAS will be gone:

idoker and seang15 like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know eBay is not the best indicator, but Cirrus prices are rising already. The fact that the Cirrus is discontinued means that buying them in good condition will get harder.

BrianVengeance likes this.
  7. We have an issue here in the UK in that American Made means squat unless it's regarding a Fender. Peavey basses struggle here,in the summer a fella
    I know had his Cirrus 5'er for sale at £500 ($750) zero interest,it got 1 bid on eBay and sold for £250.

I can't complain as I've no intention to sell,in fact I'm looking for another Cirrus 4 or a Sarzo but I do believe interest in MIA Peavey will keep rising now
    that they're gone. Good luck with the hunt Doc.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I voted for the 55-02. The Active pickups are the only thing that have kept me from trying a Cirrus, and on top of that there are no passive replacements readily available for it. Can't go wrong with the 55-02, it uses passive pickups and there are readily available replacements if need be...but since they are passive I'd personally have no reason to replace them :)

FusionStuff and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Cirruses (Cirri?) I've played have been well-made, but I really don't like narrow string spacing on a 5. 55-02 all the way.

10. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I read 100's of reviews about Brand X motorcycle and everybody was saying it was better than Brand Y. I found a place that had both and found Brand Y better than Brand X.

Unless the other folks are paying for your new bass, their opinion shouldn't matter.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a good looking passive Jazz. Do you know the price, Angelcrusher?

seang15 likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess this kind of discussion is not for you, cool.

d-dave, PazzoBasso and Bass_Thumper like this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see the 55-02 has all of the votes so far. That makes sense, the 55-02 is a super practical bass. That said, where are you Peavey people?

14. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Not 100% on that model, but you can get very similar ones for probably under $1,500 and active with a Bart for under $2,000.

Look up the Dx5 models.

seang15 likes this.
  15. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Let us know which shop has both that is near his area. Probably about an impossible task since the Cirrus is no longer in production.

R Upsomegrub and OnederTone like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Also, unless it came in since last Friday, the one Lakland dealer in the area does not have a 55-02 in stock either.

17. Sorry couldn't bear to see no Peavey Love. Biased vote's still a vote:thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Cirrus 5. I've owned the 55-02 and just didn't jibe with it. I've played a Cirrus 5 and it was extremely comfortable and easy to play. I'm not a fan of that Ken Smith midrange burp so I'd be inclined to install the Millennium 3 band preamp.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    I love that midrange. Producers flipped when I went from a Cirrus to a 55-02. Like to the point where I had to retrack parts and lost $$.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I voted 55-02. But only because I have a 55-94 and love it! In reality, you need to keep saving for the Sadowsky! Don't settle. I have bought and sold WAY too many basses over the years, in search of the one. I have owned my 55-94 since 1997 and every bass I buy, I compare to it. I should have stopped searching years ago. I'd be thousands of dollars ahead! GAS is a fickle temptress. Never satisfied. Save for what you want. Only then will you truly know.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021